What makes of cam belt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are many different makes being advertised on Ebay.

They are a very critical component!

Are there any makes to avoid?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Gates and get the kit, including idler pullets etc, unless you are selling the car.

+1 Gates.

However, before you go rushing to Ebay, try the main dealer, especially if buying the whole timing kit (usually belt, tensioner, idler and w. pump).

I assumed that a Gates kit would be cheaper. When I rang my local Fiat dealer to check prices, I was really surprised at how affordable a kit was for my 2004 Scudo van. £85 all in.

Poss made by the same people anyway, but took the gamble out of it. Not sure how much extra confidence having Fiat printed on the boxes gives, but felt happier fitting the genuine, approved parts.

I believe Dayco are supposed to be OK too.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if I need a Gates then! Thanks!

This is for my 2002 Peugeot 206cc. The seller to me had very much ignored any servicing and repairs and it has many problems but mostly probably minor for me to fix. He only had it for a year for his wife.

It has done 122,000 miles and there is no obvious indication that the cambelt has ever been changed! So annoying that mechanics don't put the date of cambelt changes! Only one of my cars has this written on it.

But the discs and pads are in quite good condition so I would guess it had a proper refit at perhaps 90-100k when the belt MIGHT have been changed as well.

Is there any way that a visual on the belt would indicate if it has been changed recently?

Tony

There are no exact signs, unfortunately, but a very old belt often shows signs of slight cracking and crazing on its outer face.
if you compare old with new, the old belt is much more flexible - rather rubber band like, on occasion.
If your belt has done 220k then its very much on borrowed time, but frankly I'd doubt it!
John :)

Not 220k John!

Only 122k ! But still at a mileage that is meant to be a definite change!

So annoying that people don't keep records of belt changes when they are so critical!

I will have to work out how to expose the belt to inspect on this one. It was easy on my 106s but this 2.0 16v seems more complicated!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back