Wots wrong with me van?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear John, this doesn't seem to have an easy answer. Still look at the bright side though, when its sorted you will know what to do if it happens again. :D

Peter

it turns out a new bearing had been fitted due to the old one collapsing(?). The new bearing had lasted 40 miles
My father had a similar problem a while ago on a Peugeot 206, ie a front wheel bearing hardly lasting a few days. I'm a bit sketchy on the exact remedy but I'm pretty sure it turned out to be a spacer missing between the driveshaft and the hub or something.
Van has a new wheel bearing (£160) and the one that was extracted has huge damage, including a split on one of the inner tracks.......goodness knows why!
Popping the O/S wheel off showed the brake caliper to be sliding in and out on its pins about 2mm......clearly there is some crap stuck between the hub and the disc or the hub itself is distorted.

I asked my father about the wheel bearing problem. AFAHR there was a (conical shaped?) spacer missing between the driveshaft and the back of the hub right enough. Although the nut seemed to tighten properly, it didn't hold the driveshaft properly so the bearing failed after a few days. I don't remember him also having brake problems but a wobbly bearing would allow movement which might show at the brake sliders? His 206 was a 2.1 diesel so it wouldn't surprise me if it shared driveshaft components with a Berlingo.

Sorry to hear the tale is ongoing John. It doesn't do much to bolster my faith in garages.
I wonder what horrors had been perpetrated on that bearing to split the inner track like that.

Sponsored Links
Yet another update..... :p
I've found, by using my dial test indicator, that the face of the front hub is distorted 105 thou :eek: so no wonder I have braking issues!
I've also looked closely at the bearing (supposedly new) that was returned to me.
1) It has suffered catastrophic failure, burning a hole in one of the two inner tracks. This hole has cracked the inner race of the bearing and burnt a hole at the edge where the dust seal is.
2) The bearing most certainly isn't new. I'd bet it was the original one all along. There is too much rust along the outer edge for it to be straight out of the box.
3) The hub is a bit of substantial metal and I think it has been distorted when the old bearing was pushed out.

Personally I think I have been completely stuffed. My own supposition now is that it was the bearing all along that caused the stiffness in the transmission, and the garage claimed it was the gearbox just to get the work.
Naturally I cant prove a thing, but back to the wheel bearing garage tomorrow!
John :)

Good to hear you are getting to the bottom of it John, but its a pity that you just cant trust anyone. And all the genuine help and guidance you give people on the forum, its a disgrace to be treated like that.

A secondhand donor hub I'm thinking, with a new bearing and hit the road again?

I'd be happy to pull the hub off myself but I've a feeling that it could dislocate the inner track of the bearing at the same time, so I'll leave it to them.
Anyway, it wasn't distorted before it went for its new bearing, so I'll see what garage number 2 says!
A new hub will be about £40 I think.

Sorry to hear that John, not that you have found the problem but that you have been ripped off. If you want a job doing properly - do it yourself used to be an old adage but I'm sure its even more true now, you can trust very few people now - sign of the times.

Peter

You know Peter, with having a certain amount of mechanical knowledge, I was under the impression that I couldn't be ripped off :p
What I should have done was to remove the drive shaft etc and try the bearing for myself, but thats a fair bit of dismantling and reassembly and I was sort of swayed by the opinion of the AA man who recovered me.....hence jumping in with both feet.
A £1000 learning curve :eek: but I can prove absolutely nothing.
Have a good evening!
P.S Anyone want a Berlingo gearbox......44k miles, mint :p One careful owner etc.......

Update once more....
Van now has a new hub, and all seems well.....obviously the new bearing was also destroyed in the fitting process, but I expected that.
Another £140 out of the wallet.....and the new clutch still judders a bit - but no way is the original garage getting near this vehicle again!

Pleased you got it sorted John. On the very few occasions I have allowed my car to be touched by a garage it's made me very nervous and that was in the days when they were relatively simple, I would probably have a nervous breakdown if I had to send one in now. :confused:

I'm getting a bit old to do my own repairs now but I am still managing at the moment - I will have to hope that my son has learnt something from me. :D

Peter

Thanks Peter!
I know the clutch shake won't go away, I'm just deciding whether I can live with it.....
For sure, it aint going back to the original garage (unless I decide to be particularly adamant about the repair) so I may well pay to have it done again at garage 2 at some time. I'd be scared to think of other possible damage if the original guy had a crack at it.
Time to move on (I hope :p )

I think that's probably best John, help keep the stress levels down too. :)

Peter

If you think the judder is a dry pilot shaft, try WD40 on an extension pipe in the side hole of the bell housing? It just might hit the spot.
How are you going to let the original garage know you have found nothing wrong with the gearbox? I'd certainly try to find a way to inform them you saw through their scam, regardless of the money involved.

Good to be back on the road ................

Sponsored Links
Back