Peugeot 206 ABS warning light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the most common causes of an ABS warning light?

Is it something which when intermittent to be too wary of?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Most common reason is the fixed wheel sensors or the rotating 'reluctor ring' getting miss-aligned or damaged. The face of the sensor needs to within a few mm of the 'reluctor ring' which is a posh name for a toothed cog. The sensor is a hall effect type which can get confused if, for instance it gets a bit of greese on it which a flake of ferrus metal has attached itself to. After that check all the wires to the sensors, as they are a bit exposed.
The ABS ECU/Hydraulic block is fairly bullet proof.

You could narrow down the search for the fault if you had access to a Peugeot or Citroen diagnostic tool known as a lexia or peugeot planet.

I'm a member on frenchcarforum.co.uk which has a lot of citroen enthusiasts on it. The peugeot section is often quiet but if you search the whole site, the answers to questions about ABS will be the same as for peugeot

Edit: I should have said, if the warning light comes on only after you start moving, then it's a good indication that all is ok with the ABS ECU and the supply wiring to the sensors, as it can't tell if there is a problem picking up pulses from the gear tooth sensors until it is expecting some pulses. On the other hand, if the light comes on when you first start the car then it might suggest the opposite.

Wheel speed sensors are the usual suspect, before going to the trouble of changing them its best to check any under wheel arch electrical connections as these can become corroded over time.
Getting the fault codes read should tell you which sensor is at fault if the machine is capable of reading abs codes.

Presumably a cheap generic engine code reader would not show which wheel?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there's no chance without a dedicated reader, Tony.......as said, it's either the wheel sensors, wiring or reluctor rings on the driveshafts / brake drums. Other than that, avoid!
John :)

The car which I have now is showing the ABS light all the time.

It comes on after 10 secs or so but BEFORE moving off.

What possibilities does that give?

Its my 206cc 2002 2.0 li

Is it definately a current fault? or an old one that needs resetting?

Tony

The car which I have now is showing the ABS light all the time.

It comes on after 10 secs or so but BEFORE moving off.

What possibilities does that give?

Its my 206cc 2002 2.0 li

Is it definately a current fault? Or an old one that just needs resetting?

Tony

Tony
As said more than once get the codes read you might then have the definitive answer!

They are usually current faults, I'll add wiring to the list of probable causes - the wires around the wheels can become damaged causing the hall effect sensor to become open circuit from the ABS computer. Not short of probing it with an oscilloscope and spinning wheels with the car jacked up a fault code reader, as mentioned above, is your best bet. (A normal cheapo OBD2 reader will probably NOT work to read the ABS system.)

Can the ABS ECU identify a faulty ABS sensor BEFORE the vehicle starts moving ( as mine does ) ?

The rear sensor cable is only about 700 mm long . Does anyone know where it will connect to the vehicle wiring loom ( on my convertible ).

Tony

Can the ABS ECU identify a faulty ABS sensor BEFORE the vehicle starts moving ( as mine does ) ?

Tony
Yes it can. If the circuit is say open circuit it will be detected during the systems start up procedure.

Looking at a 206 diagram could be around centre of vehicle.

Post up vin number and I will post up ABS diagrams

Thanks Alan, that would be very helpful.

Now I have redone my ACS this week and received the plug in Planet 2000 interpretor I am all set to try to get it working properly ready for the MOT.

I will try to get the VIN number tonight.

Tony

Good luck with getting planet working, its a bit of a pig sometimes!

The other way to identify failed sensors is to jack the car up a corner at a time and then with the ignition on and the handbrake lightly applied spin each wheel in turn. You should get a beep to say that you are moving with the handbrake on, except for the wheel that it cant read the sensor on.

Once you have planet working you can view the live data from the wheel sensory.

Changing the sensors is a bit of a pain, on my 407 I had to drill the old sensor out, but you have to be careful not to damage the reluctor ring

Sponsored Links
Back