30m2 floor area rule for building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone in the know please clear something up for me please.

In my council Building reg guidelines for a detached garage for exempt of buiding regs is under 30m2 inside floor area.

This is the funny part.

does it go from wall to wall inside? because if it is from my inside blockwork to inside blockwork on the other side then im at 31m2 BUT i have stud work on inside which is 4x2s with 16mm ply which is my finishing wall which if i go from that to the other side it gives me 29.5m2?

I dont know how they work as i have a someone coming from local council to check the height of garage (Which is ok but i dont want him to check floor area just in case) but i dont know the the actually floor area means.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Floor area is useable floor area, and you would measure from the finished internal face of the studwork/plaster

If someone's coming round to check the height, he/she is probably from Planning, so won't be concerned about the floor area, which is a bulding regs matter. But as W says, it's to finished surfaces.
Have you built it too high?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back