A lean-to building without a structural floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I'm wanting to build a workshop/garage onto the side of my house. It's not going to be a proper car garage as it's not really wide enough (Outter dimensions approx 7'9") and will be used for:
  • Extra storage
  • Fridge & tumble dryer
  • Tools & workbench
  • Motorbike
  • Maybe a Caterham ;)

A plan of the space available is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/819765/garage-plan.jpg[/b]

Because there's not a lot of width, and I need access to the site of the house for the electric & gas cupboards, it seems like a lean-to is the best option.

I'd thought a concrete sectional lean-to to begin with. I've had quotes of around £3.5k for the garage, but because of the conditions building control are imposing on the base, it's going to be nearly another £3k for the base. (Structural engineer involved, drains rerouted, supporting lintels over other drains, very deep footings, steel reinforcements - all adds up) £6,200 is too much for my wallet and I won't even be able to get a proper car into it!

So, time for an alternative plan, to build one myself!
I was thinking:
  • 4 or 6 chunky fence posts (8" sq?) along the edge furthest from the house, set into concrete
  • Another couple bolted to the house, to form a frame
  • A side fall roof, either sat on the fence posts and bolted to the house, or totally cantilevered off the house
  • Board up the sides and rear to enclose the building
  • An up & over door to the front
  • Any floor - flags, concrete or tarmac - will purely be for surface finishing and not supporting the building

Does that sound like that will work?

Although My joinery skills are up to constructing something like that, I'm not a builder and I'm not sure what building control will think. As the (reduced) weight of the structure will be borne by the supporting posts into the ground, and the roof either supported by the gable end 100% or 50/50 with the fence posts, there should be no need for any expensive groundwork or a structural engineer?

I'm going to discuss the plans with building control, but in the meantime I was wondering if there are any flaws in my plan? I think I could get this all done for less than £1,000?

Sponsored Links
You could build it as a 'conserventory' in which case it's exempt from building regs but IIRC, 75% of the roof needs to be transparent for it to count as a conserventory.

You could build it as a 'conserventory' in which case it's exempt from building regs but IIRC, 75% of the roof needs to be transparent for it to count as a conserventory.
I've not waded through that thread tbh but a conservatory no longer needs minimum amounts of glazing, regs classification have changed for conservatory's now.

it sounds to me like you are building a wooden shed.

Do you need permssion for that?

Sponsored Links
I've not waded through that thread tbh but a conservatory no longer needs minimum amounts of glazing, regs classification have changed for conservatory's now.

That's an interesting line of thought, I'll look into that. A transparent roof panel is something I intend to add anyway. Don't see many conservatories with an up & over door! :mrgreen:

it sounds to me like you are building a wooden shed. Do you need permssion for that?

Unfortunately if it's attached, yes :( Not planning permission, just building regs approval.

I've had a chat with the man from building control just now, and a lean-to shed is a no-go as it's within 1m of the boundary and needs to be "constructed of substantially non-combustible materials." HOWEVER, if the building was detached (i.e. not touching the house, with no minimum gap specified) then building regs do not apply, I can build what I want. Interesting.

My chain of thought now:

1) Build a 'lean-to' (i.e. open at one side) but leave it detached by 5mm
2) Have a think & research as to what might happen if it became weather-sealed (but not attached) against the building later on

Now that building control are aware of my project, and that I intend to 'bend the rules' a little to get round them, might they be interested in my building later down the line? I'd had them to pull me up on an irregularity that I'd overlooked in my construction and make me pull it down in a few years time.

Cheers,
Chris

2) Have a think & research as to what might happen if it became weather-sealed (but not attached) against the building later on
Hilarious!

Do you really expect the local authority to be that dumb?

If you had a car-port, I believe that would be exempt.

Or you could make it of incombustibe materials using, um, metal or cement-board cladding? Maybe a metal frame or concrete posts?

Hilarious!

1) When asked, the BCO quietly whispered into the phone that there was no minimum distance that a building had to be detached by, it just needed to not be attached or contacting the house. Building regulations would not apply at all if it was detached.

2) Reading back though this section of the forum, there are enough 'Do it and hope nobody notices' type posts that make me think it's quite common? I can't see BC being that interested in my house TBH, and the neighbours aren't going to complain or attract attention.

I'm more than happy to listen to advice as it'll stop me making a stupid & expensive mistake; why do you disagree?

Hilarious!

noseall, this is true, despite the practicalities and weathering issues provided there is a gap the building is exempt from Building Regs, the gap can be 1000mm or 1mm provided there is a gap. the moment you attach it it becomes notifiable. ;)

As the OP has observed there are many a poster on here who have had the unofficial nod from BC that they will often turn a blind eye anyway.

That's an interesting option - I've never seen cement-board cladding before, I'll look into it :D

Yeah, take a look at that Supalux stuff it's, cheap as chips :LOL: .

Seriously though, I've looked at your plans and you're stuck between a rock and a hard place because of those blinking drains!

On the subjects of building large 'extenstions' seperated by tiny gaps, this appeal document may make intresting reading: http://www.planningjungle.com/appeal_decisions/61 Fountains Crescent - Appeal Decision Notice.pdf
Someone built an 'extension' which was much larger than the normal PD allowance and would normally have required building regs too however by seperating the 'extension' from the house by 25mm (yes, one inch) it is techincally an outbuilding and not an extension meaning it does not need planning permission or building regs.
Another one of the loopholes/gray areas/oddities of our planning rules.

Did you build this in the end ?

Hi chaps,

I'm wanting to build a workshop/garage onto the side of my house. It's not going to be a proper car garage as it's not really wide enough (Outter dimensions approx 7'9") and will be used for:
  • Extra storage
  • Fridge & tumble dryer
  • Tools & workbench
  • Motorbike
  • Maybe a Caterham ;)

A plan of the space available is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/819765/garage-plan.jpg[/b]

Because there's not a lot of width, and I need access to the site of the house for the electric & gas cupboards, it seems like a lean-to is the best option.

I'd thought a concrete sectional lean-to to begin with. I've had quotes of around £3.5k for the garage, but because of the conditions building control are imposing on the base, it's going to be nearly another £3k for the base. (Structural engineer involved, drains rerouted, supporting lintels over other drains, very deep footings, steel reinforcements - all adds up) £6,200 is too much for my wallet and I won't even be able to get a proper car into it!

So, time for an alternative plan, to build one myself!
I was thinking:

• 4 or 6 chunky fence posts (8" sq?) along the edge furthest from the house, set into concrete
    • Another couple bolted to the house, to form a frame
    • A side fall roof, either sat on the fence posts and bolted to the house, or totally cantilevered off the house
    • Board up the sides and rear to enclose the building
    • An up & over door to the front
    • Any floor - flags, concrete or tarmac - will purely be for surface finishing and not supporting the building
Does that sound like that will work?

Although My joinery skills are up to constructing something like that, I'm not a builder and I'm not sure what building control will think. As the (reduced) weight of the structure will be borne by the supporting posts into the ground, and the roof either supported by the gable end 100% or 50/50 with the fence posts, there should be no need for any expensive groundwork or a structural engineer?

I'm going to discuss the plans with building control, but in the meantime I was wondering if there are any flaws in my plan? I think I could get this all done for less than £1,000?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back