Adding conservatory on back of bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're looking to put a conservatory on the back of our bungalow which shouldnt conflict with the regulations here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Apart from one - we want to go out about 5 meters which is well away from our boundary, but we were concerned about the regulation which states

Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house.

As its stating a house and we are a bunglow - does this apply?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We assume you are only talking single storey for your conservatory and its going on the back so the following rule applies:

Single-storey rear conservatory must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.

Therefore you can only extend 3 or 4m dependent on whether you are detached or a semi. So a 5m is not PD no matter what house you have and you would need to apply for planning Permission.

The rule you quoted only applies to two storey extension so irrelevant to you.

All the rules apply to your house whether its 1, 2 or 6 storeys.

All assuming your property has not had any of its PD rights removed.

What if, the conservatory was designed so as not to touch the house ... and then it can extend the full garden length if he likes

SHABBA!

Yes a single storey 5 meter long conservatory. So the fact we are looking to go more than 3 or 4 meters means we do need to get planning permission? We are also garaged linked so I dont think that counts as semi detached?

Sponsored Links
Yes a single storey 5 meter long conservatory. So the fact we are looking to go more than 3 or 4 meters means we do need to get planning permission? We are also garaged linked so I dont think that counts as semi detached?

That may count as a semi, seems to depend where you live, what does the land registry say? semi or detached?

I looked at a house that was marketed as detached, listed as semi on the land reg and they had been forced to apply for PP for a 3.5m extension because the planners decided it was a semi. It was only connected to next door by the ending of their garage roof, there was a 1m passage seperating the 2 buildings but the roof covered it and joined the 2 together!

There were other properties on the same street, built by the same builders at the same time but listed as detached on the LR!

Yes 5m will definitely require a PA.

As to whether you can build 3 or 4m under PD to avoid planning does come down to whether your house is defined as a semi or detached. Its not aas clear cut as people think, if you were my client I would be advising you to seek clarification from your local authority for a definition and if not forthcoming would recommend applying for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is a relevant thread: http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/forum/thread-maint.do?topicId=1839697

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back