Advice on conservatory build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm new to the forum and its my first post but i've been lurking for a while.
Anyway i'm doing a few builds in the near future but at the moment i'm having a 14m2 conservatory built.
The problem is the builders have laid the foundation and it seems to be 200mm thinner than on the plans and i dont think they've went deep enough either. That was yesterday today they have the insulaation delivered and its 50mm celotex but on the plans its 85mm xtratherm for the walls and also 100mm for the floor.
I'm waiting on the builder appearing in the morning and having a chat but i would like to know if anyone has had this experience.

1. I think i'm being ripped off and paying for something i'm not getting.

2. Do i contact the building control and ask them to look at this further

I have already contacted the company but i've to speak to the man on the job, where do i go from here with any scenario?

Sponsored Links
Conservatories do not fall under building control remit.

However, if you have been quoted for 'x' and you are paying for 'y' then it looks like you are being taken for a ride.

Anything within 1m of an existing building and more than 8m2 attached in my area (scotland) requires a building warrant

Anything within 1m of an existing building and more than 8m2 attached in my area (scotland) requires a building warrant
If this is the case then it will be inspected at stages.

If any of the stages do not comply then b.c. will surely enforce compliance, no?

Sponsored Links
If this is the case then it will be inspected at stages.[/quote]
Only if someone has appointed them :!:

I would like to think so aswell, i have paid for the building warrant and spoke the the officer recently. As of the 1st october building warrant officers issue a notice to the owner(letter) describing work and at what stages the inspections will take place but we have yet to recieve this but the warrant was only issued two days ago, the same day the founds had been dug etc. it was to my understanding the works shouldnt commence until a week after warrant was issued.
The tempreture here is to drop to minus 4 tonight(its -1 at the moment) so i doubt the builder will appear tomorrow but i'll keep you posted whats happens over the weekend.

Update; i spoke to the builder this morning and showed him my plans from the company. He wasnt long and finding a solution alothough he's now laying 120mm eps rather than the 100mm xtratherm polysio, is there any difference between the two? Also he sent the brickie away bexause they had re dig the trench to take the thicker wall.

He's now fitting polystyrene (EPS) instead of a PIR type of insulation assuming you meant Xtratherm Polyisocyanurate so its actually worse. you should have stuck with the 100mm xtratherm polysio.

'Builder' sounds like a cowboy.

Thanks for the reply, i was expecting an answer like that. I've be looking around the net for that. Our plans say the u-value will be 0.18, but now i take it wil be nowhere near that?

For anyone interested, this all happened approaching the weekend so come the monday morning i approached the owner of the company, before i knew it the building control officer was called(by the company involved) and had arrived by the time i got home. The builders where sent for the proper materials and i was there cor the install for the 100mm xtratherm. At the end of the job it was a good one but there shouldnt have been the debate over the insulation... Now time for me to move onto my extension which i'll be doing myself after this farce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back