Advice on garden wall please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have out houses at the bottom of my garden which are attched to the boundary wall (aprox. 2.5m high).

I intend on removing the out houses and was wondering if the height of the existing wall will need to be reduced?

Our neighbours on the other side do not have out houses but i pressume at one time there was as every property around us has them.

The wall is a double skim wall but not sure if this is enough.

Ideally I want to keep the height of the wall as it makes the garden more private.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the outhouses are brick, then presumably they will be giving lateral support to the wall. If you remove them completely, the wall would not be stable as 2.5m is far too high for an un-stiffened wall 9" thick
Could you leave some short lengths of wall in to serve as buttresses?

Theres 2 out houses joined together. One side is brick, the other wood.

Thinking maybe build a breeze block wall, tieing it in with the existing wall?

Just thought, what about a couple of brick pillars?

Are there any building regs or planning needed?

Thanks

Thinking maybe build a breeze block wall, tieing it in with the existing wall?

If by this you mean an extra block thickness built against the wall, that wouldn't do. Your chief problem is lateral loading due to wind, and only effective buttresses bonded to the wall at right-angles will provide sufficient stiffness to counter wind loading.
This is not a simple matter as you would need advice, preferably from a SE, as to the size and spacing of any buttressing. Also, any buttresses would themselves need to be on adequate foundations, otherwise they would be counter-productive.
2.5m is a high wall for single-brick thickness, and you really do need to take advice before removing the outhouses.

Sponsored Links
If you knock down and rebuild a new wall be careful of the height as planning rules may apply. They take into account anything built new even if a tall wall of a building existed before.

Building Regs does not apply to garden walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back