Advice on wall removal and rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice greatly appreciated! Taking down a support wall to open up lounge kitchen into open plan and rsj going in. Ive started reading through council waffle but can anyone offer quick advice on whats needed from council point of view? Is it just a building reg application than needs to be done before work starts or do they come and approve after work has been done? I know each council is slightly different but any general advice on fees, whats needed and experience of length of time it takes would be a massive help to for my understanding on this. Want to play it by the book but I dont want to apply for something I dont need.

Sponsored Links
If it's a support wall ( ie supporting floor joists and possibly wall/partition above) then it is a structural alteration and the Concil's Building Control dept should be notified before work starts.
Fees usually depend on the value of the work, but yours should be at the low
end of the scale - possibly around £150/200.
But beware; the Council may require stuctural calcs for your beam and bearings, and that could cost the same again

You submit your application (building notice) and you may or may not need beam design calculations - ask them first.

Then when the beam is installed, and before covering it, you call them out to inspect it. They tend to come out same day if you call early.

Then you tell them when its all finished, they should then come out, and then sign it off as complete.

Sponsored Links
Anyone have a guesstimate on what wall removal and rsj should cost? Had one builder say he would need structural engineer and architect plans before and another builder who said its relatively simple and that he would just put in the biggest steel he could and shouldnt need any engineer (although he did say to get council to come and inspect which was reassuring)

Get your three quotes, and ask for them to be itemised for the work, the engineers work and the council fee. Then you can compare them

A few months back we had two out, I not got the exact costs to hand, but each worked out roughly...

£150 for calcs
£150 for steel
£800 for steel in (we removed the wall under afterwards)

Hope that helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back