Any planning issues replacing cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've been emailed the details of a house for sale I quite like. The only major gripe I have at the moment without seeing inside for myself it the exterior appearance. It's a typical 60's/ 70's 3 storey townhouse and I'm not really a fan of the white cladding.

Would there be planning issues with changing to a rendered or tiled finish at some point? Also, would planning be required if one was to replace the windows with a smaller design so they don't reach right across the front and down to ground level? Some of them are floor to ceiling glass. I noticed on the street view one property on the block has done this.

Would the above all be very costly and complicated [or should I ask that elsewhere?]

Thanks if you can help. :)

Sponsored Links
I believe from what I have read on forum ( I'm not a pro ) that what you are proposing would require you to improve the insulation to current regs becuase it would count as renewing more than 25% of the wall. This would however be the responsibility of Building Control - don't know if it require planning permission.

Happy to be corrected by anybody better informed.

I believe from what I have read on forum ( I'm not a pro ) that what you are proposing would require you to improve the insulation to current regs becuase it would count as renewing more than 25% of the wall. This would however be the responsibility of Building Control - don't know if it require planning permission.

Happy to be corrected by anybody better informed.

Thank you Mointainwalker.
I did wonder if changing the windows would be the main planning issue, that's a good point to bear in mind - all that glass is definitely going to have a greenhouse affect! I wasn't sure if drastically altering the appearance of a building, ie, replacing the panelling in such a way that it creates a more boxy, cubist image and looks far different to the attached house would cause issues.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I've been emailed the details of a house for sale I quite like. The only major gripe I have at the moment without seeing inside for myself it the exterior appearance. It's a typical 60's/ 70's 3 storey townhouse and I'm not really a fan of the white cladding.

Would there be planning issues with changing to a rendered or tiled finish at some point? Also, would planning be required if one was to replace the windows with a smaller design so they don't reach right across the front and down to ground level? Some of them are floor to ceiling glass. I noticed on the street view one property on the block has done this.

Would the above all be very costly and complicated [or should I ask that elsewhere?]

Thanks if you can help. :)

Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of white cladding exterior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back