architectural stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hired a very expensive Architect to design my new studio, when he put the plans in to building regs people he missed out a window and he also put the toilet right infront of a window which is only a foot above the floor, we should have noticed that before we started building but didn't, the plumber pointed it out to us and moved the pan.
the building from the side without the window looks horrible, I wonder if I have any dispute? we could have gone back to planning but I didnt want to risk it in case they throw the whole thing out.
not very well explained I know :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The window should be on the left above the bottom one and below the skylight

An extra window would be a minor amendment, and so you can apply for a "rider" to the planning permission and this wont affect it in any way.

Or if for some reason it is not deemed minor, then you can apply via a new formal application

For building regs, it will not be an issue to fit an extra window

Whether you have any claim against your Architect, would depend on whether you gave instructions for this window or a specific design criteria

Sponsored Links
The number of times I've seen 'Architects' come up with some absolutely daft solutions. Some might even think they have never been on a building site....

I had one developer mate who was doing 25 hi-spec flats in the south who's Architect mate managed to forget to give some of them bathrooms on the first set of drawings :) You're lucky you got a toilet :)

It was the subcontracted builder (who was to follow developers drawings) who spotted it. Equally, it was the subcontracted plumber who worked for the subcontracted developer who thought human waste could travel up hill when he laid some of his soil pipes under a very nice kitchen, which later had to be deconstructed when the people in the flat above started having, err, issues !!

Oh, that development was quite funny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back