Back garden building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice I want to build single storey building in back garden 8mx3.5m to accommodate wood burning stove sauna,shower , toilet ,lounge from thermolite blocks do I need planing permission or only building reg ? When do I need to inform council before digging foundation or before laying thanks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on a number of factors, you would be best to contact your local planning authority. BRegs is definitely needed, loads more detail needed on PP - anyone here would be guessing.

[quote="hotrod";p="2589810" BRegs is definitely needed,.[/quote]

Building Regs not needed for single-storey building with floor area < 30 sq m.

As regards planning, don't bother asking because they almost always say 'yes' by default just to get the fees in. With detached garden buildings, you have to be careful. The building's use has to be 'incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling'; this would include, for example, a garage or room for pets, or possibly a hobbies room etc. But a lounge would probably not be permitted development and you would almost certainly need p.p. for that.
Why tell the Council about it anyway; if you keep to the prescribed height limits, you would be OK.

Sponsored Links
I think it would be cool
If building regs would give a pass
This is not a school
But it still has a class

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back