Blocking up fire breast vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my landlord out to brick up a small A4 landscape size hole in my bedroom, this sits bang in middle of the fire breast about 3 inchs from the ceiling

We no longer have the gas fires in living room and back room and both have been bricked up both with letterbox size vents, living room vent has since been ripped out by me cos its looked gash!! back room however hasnt had my magic wand so as yet it still remains

In back bedroom there are no vents on the fire breast!!

So whats the crack, landlord said it will cause damp if he blocks it up?

If I insisted on removing these unsightly vents would I also need to cover the chimney tops too??

All advice welcome please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
a chimney needs to be open top and bottom or it will become damp.

this is true.

If the owner of the house wanted to spend the money, he could have the tops of the chimneys removed and the roof remade to fill the hole, leaving only open flues emerging into the loft. In this case the fireplaces can never be used again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back