Breeze block mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has a garage built from breeze block. His side is all nicely rendered but our side is just unfinished blocks not even cemented together properly.

should it be left like this? it sticks up about 60cm above the fence and is about 20 metres long.

Sponsored Links
20m long garage, wow!

Quality issues such as yours are rarely monitored by any governing body so it is down to the discretion and professional integrity of the builder to see that it is at least struck or bar pointed to provide a weathered joint.

Is it definitely not being rendered?

We have in the past been denied access from a neighbour whilst building a structure, so have struggled to be able get a decent pointed finish when building overhand. Also when denied access a builder may think stuff you and leave you with a shoddy looking wall.

People normally do this because they are lazy, cheapskates, do not like the neighbours, or the neighbours did not allow access

Could you put a trellis up and grow something up it? Or raise the fence panels?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, it was all done before we moved in however it was a commercial building before but now its our home and we want it to look nice. looks like we will have to put our own fence up on our land as they are refusing us permission to remove their fence and replace it with a taller one, at a cost to us even thought they have never maintained any of the boundary.

Unfortunately this all started because I removed a fence which was theirs (after telling them and them agreeing) to replace it as it was actually falling to pieces they have since turned, insisting that I do not use their posts to put the new panels on.

They can not see any of the fence from their own land due to the large garage and out buildings and there is a gap of around 8 - 10 inches all the way along between the garage and the fence.

It is a bit strange as their own house is literally fort knox, however a higher fence would stop them from seeing in our garden (theirs is higher than ours) which is a garden/driveway combined and they said they want to be able to look over the fence into ours, and they do and so do their visitors.

Looks like we will probably end up in court at some stage which is sad really because it could of been avoided. I explained to them that I am not trying to steal any land from them just simply make ours look nice.

Court? Why? Just build your own fence inside your boundary and move on with your life. These things really not worth getting worked up about, life's too short. Consider that the legal limit is 2m high though.

Court - because this is how they are!!

I cannot afford to get involved in that rubbish and neither want to.

I shall put up my own fence and 2 metres would be perfect!!

If I do this - no when I do this!! I hope there is no legal reason they can stop me. Although they will be onto the council no doubt.

chill pill is needed, I guess I got wound up this morning when he was waiting for me as soon as I walked out the door at 8

:oops:

FMT correctly pointed out that a 2m fence would be permitted development and would not need p.p. provided it is solely on your patch.
If sight of the blockwork so offends you, why not consider having the fence 2.4m (8ft) high where it runs along the garage wall. You would of course then need p.p., but I strongly suspect you would get it if it's just to hide the neighbour's unsightly wall.

From your other posts I get the feeling you are in a conservation area so just check re the fence before you spend money on one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back