Build over / close to agreements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting an extension done and it involves moving a manhole about 2 feet from its current location. The manhole only serves my property.

I have had an unofficial chat with Seven Trent about this and they have asked for a rough sketch of the junctions into the manhole to determine that it only serves my property.
If they find that the manhole does indeed only serve my property and is not shared. Would they give consent to relocate it or would I have to pay for an application for building close to a public sewer. Does Seven Trend strictly follow the need for an official application if the development is within 3meters of a shared drain?

Sponsored Links
If it is a shared drain, you need ST's permission

If this is a "lateral drain" ie just goes from your house to the main drain run and is not shared use, then its your drain and you don't need ST's permission

If your extension is within 3m of a shared drain, then you need ST's permission

Your designer should be sorting all this out

ST have asked me to send pics with connections into the manhole. If I give them the details they asked for, isn't it up to them to tell me if there is a drain within 3 metres of my proposed development?

Sponsored Links
The onus would be on the land owner to attempt to identify nearby drains.

The maps held by ST may not be accurate, but will be checked against your plan. But normally at the back of a typical suburban row of houses, the drains serving the row are within 3-4m so your extension may well be within range

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back