Builders have gone over the PD plan!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had PD approval from the council for our 3x3 single storey extension on our semi.

The extension is nearly finished but today it was pointed out to me by the neighbour, that the builders have gone out three inches over the 3m plan therefore taking this outside of the permitted development rules.

The neighbour said he wouldn't be making a formal complaint, although he would be within his rights to do so. We did not measure the site as we had trusted that our builders would get this simple task right - in fact, the building regs guy has been impressed with their work throughout and whilst it is not his job to measure the building, he did not say anything either.

Should we apply for retrospective planning permission? Or should we not be worrying about this? How easy/costly is it to move a wall back a few inches?

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it. Sometimes builders go over as it suits the masonry, tis a bit off though! Especially if the drawings had a 'max' dimension on though as they should have had, being a PD development an all.

Your neighbour is a bit of a Berk, if he actually said that.

Forget about it/your neighbour. I can't see the LPA wanting to get involved over 75mm anyway. It'd be a lot of hassle for them.

you haven't built over your neighbour's land, I hope?

Sponsored Links
I built something that was 100mm over PD. It was a mistake I had made (oops). A neighbour contacted the enforcement officer. They came round, measured and I was out by 100mm.

We discussed the issue and then I figured out where I had gone wrong. I said, if needed I would resolve the problem. She said she would go away, talk to her boss.

The next day she called back and said I could keep the works as they were. It was not worth them taking me to task.

If you do get dobbed in don't worry about it. The worst that will happen is that you might have to get planning. If so, I would suggest the builder part funds this.

Your neighbour... Nob head.

unless, of course, it has been built on the neighbour's land.

Has it?

It always saddens me to hear stories like paulandfrodo's. I am lucky that I get on very well with my neighbours on both sides, but there are some curtain twitchers further up my road. Recently I had a visit from an enforcement officer after one of those people complained that I was running a business from home and constantly having lorries blocking up the 8m-wide quiet residential road. (I was having materials delivered for my garden (paving, soil, greenhouse, etc) and for an indoor aquarium I am building - maybe a dozen lorries over two weeks.)

The officer went away happy but obviously wouldn't tell me who had complained. What annoys me is why didn't the 'concerned neighbour' didn't just walk down the road and knock on my door to ask what I was doing? Why do some people think reporting neighbours to the council over non-issues is an acceptable way to waste our council tax money? Maybe I am just old-fashioned (despite only being 28 ) but if I have an issue with someone I will go and speak with them about it. Most of the time it turns out to be a misunderstanding anyway.

To the OP - I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned they likely built over to fit their masonry sizes which is widely done and 75mm is not something your council is likely to care about. Even if that 75mm put the extension on your neighbour's land by waiting until it was almost finished to make his complaint he has waived his own right to have you remove it. Your neighbour will not be able to do anything.

Out of interest, how does your neighbour know it is 75mm over? Is it close enough for him to measure because I would not be able to tell 3000mm from 3075mm without a measure. Bricks may be equal size but a decent builder can lose or gain a few inches over that length without is being obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back