Building Control Ignoring Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you may have seen my recent thread in the building forum regarding insulation requirements if building a wall with an aerated foundation block.

It turns out that to comply with regs around 55mm of Kingspan is needed, yet when I spoke to my local BC office I was informed that the BI had passed the walls and accepted that no insulation would be installed.

She has not requested that more insulation should be installed elsewhere to offset the difference.

The same building surveyor made me jump through hoops to get the drawings approved, and yet seems to have no issue with the builder not complying with regs.

So what's the point of Building Control if they allow builders to flout the regs. I know discretion is allowed but this seems a bit much.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the heat loss is being off-set somewhere else on the build....?
She has not requested that more insulation should be installed elsewhere to offset the difference.
Or at least no-one I've asked has mentioned that so far, not the builder, BCO, or client. With the roof being 6" too low, there isn't really much room to add more insulation below the rafters, and of course you've got the problem of diminishing returns adding more insulation below what has already been specified. Same goes for the floor. I certainly don't think anyone has done a whole house calc, or suggested adding another couple of hundred mm of quilt in the attic of the main house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back