Building Notice Charge..??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick-ish question regarding the above.

1st off I'm not a builder and am new to all this !

I bought a house I'm refurbing. The lounge and dining room were already knocked into one many years ago. The plasterer noticed the 'beam' between the 2 is sagging and upon closer inspection noticed it was a totally inadequate wooden beam.

Rightly or wrongly I called the local council building control officer for advice as I wasn't sure which way to proceed. To cut a long story I need an RSJ installed and building control want to charge me nearly £200 for a building notice and maybe more for inspecting the work etc.

My question is: Do I have to pay them for the building notice? Can I not get someone else to do it?
Is there a cheaper way?
Did I do the right thing notifying them or should I have gone down a different route??

Many thanks...I'm clueless on all this.

Sponsored Links
You could use a Private Inspector but they will likely be a similar price. Theoretically the cost allows for a couple of inspections and sending off your calcs to another SE for an independent check.

Let's say you did not want to pay the council fees. How much would it cost you for a professional opinion on the suitability of a beam, a site visit and a completion certificate?

And then how much would an indemnity policy be at sale time, let alone the hassle of proving the work is safe to a buyer?

Sponsored Links
2nd rule of building, think before you call the council. Sounds like my grandparents house in Sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back