Building out of Reclaimed Stone - Minimum Thickness of Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building our extension with an external skin of reclaimed stone (sandstone/gritstone).

Cavity wall will comprise of:

Internal Skin: 100mm blockwork,
Cavity: 100mm insulation filled cavity,
External Skin: Stonework.

What is the minimum thickness the stonework needs to be? I'm wanting to go for around 130-140mm (around 5 inch). Architect says anything above 4 inch is fine, but just want to make sure.

Is 5"/130mm thick enough to meet Building Regs in structural terms?

Sponsored Links
Depends; if it's coursed stone and fairly regular, 100mm is fine. If the stone is irregular/uncoursed, Approved Document A recommends 1.33 x thickness of normal brick, ie around 130-140mm.
It's nothing to do with the compressive strength of the stone, it's the potential lack of even bedding.

Thanks Tony.

We are hopefully building random coursed walls, so should be plenty thick enough.

Cheers again,

W.

Please don't do full fil insulation, do partial fill and use SureCav. Get your Architect to consider it.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Would I have to use surecav if all my stone was backed off to, say, 130-140mm?

We weren't planning on using 2 skins of blockwork...

Random stone needs a backing block really (or use Surecav as said) except for a single storey maybe. I'm not quite clear on the type of stone you're using?
If its coursed (sawn, or dressed even, top & bottom) 100mm+ is OK, if random, it'd need to be nearer 150mm, & see 1st paragraph.

Like this:

Coursed, but courses not at the same height:

Yorkshire-Delph-Coursed-Walling-640.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back