Building Regs for a house built in 1984

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm in the process of buying a house that was built in 1984. Can anyone point me to the regs that were applicable at the time? I'm trying to get an idea of how well insulated the walls and floor slab are likely to be.

I'm going to be throwing close to £100k on refurbishing the place so if anyone has any suggestions for worthwhile improvements to bring the house up to current spec I would gratefully receive them.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I doubt most people will remember that far back, even building inspectors!
All I can remember is that by the early 1980's, the U-value of external walls was required to be no worse than1.0, which implies just lightweight block for the inner skin, and no cavity fill.

Floors were not required to be insulated until later, the mid 1990s I think.

The Building Regs ask for minimum requirements. They may have upper the spec on your house so don't assume to ask for the regs from that time.

Speak to your LA. If you have any paperwork it may show the original build references for BR application. Ask to see the councils plans if they still have them and that will tell you how it was built. If they don't have plans then you should do a full site survey.

Sponsored Links
If the house is for sale there should be an epc lurking somewhere. (Energy Performance Certificate) The calculation for the epc is based on regulations current when the house was built. If you have a word with the energy assessor they should be able to give you what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back