Building Regs - Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had another good read through building regs an havn't been able to find the answer to my questions so was wondering If anyone could help me...

I need to convert my garage into another bedroom as a rapidly expanding family has now put to much pressure on our house.

I have read the local councils building regs however couldn't find any specific comments but cohldn't see any clarity on a couple of points.

One of the garage walls is single skinned, it is in good condition however would this pass building regs if I batoned, insulated, vapour barriered then plasterboarded it?

Also the ground floor is a solid concrete bass, it is 18cm lower then the house could i put a small step down into the room or does it have to be the same level? If it does then there wouldn't be the full 15cm clearance guide is this a problem? (assuming I had to raise the floor with a suspended floor?)

Also is there any guide on minimum headroom? Appreciate your help, obviously ideally would re build it fully and raise, level etc but need to do it as cheaply as possible whilst making sure it is a good quality conversion.

Thanks for reading

John

Sponsored Links
The wall will be ok

The floor needs to be insulated, and so will end up the same height as the main house. But there can be a step if you like, and if there is enough insulation

There is no minimum ceiling height

Your project will be subject to a number of building regulations and, depending on your properties rights, may be subject to planning (if the external appearance of the garage will change). In most cases you should be able to make external changes under Permitted Development rights - but you should check this first!

In order to work out the levels of insulation you can go to an insulation manufacturer such as Kingspan or Celotex etc and look at their technical data. Kingspan also has a very good technical team that will help ensure that you are specifying the correct insulation for each application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back