Building regs of putting a bedroom next to a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to redevelop an extension which I want to have a kitchen that leads to a bedroom that then leads to a bathroom.

Does anyone know of any building regs that mean I can't do this?

Do building regs allow a bedroom to be next to a kitchen?

At present there is no external door apart from in the kitchen but I could look when I seek planning to put a door from the bathroom to the garden.

If you can help

Thanks

Manx Christie

Sponsored Links
You may have to look at avoiding the spread of fire and smoke, fire doors could well be required.
You will be best advised to contact either or both your local planning office and fire officer they will recommended you on the requirements best put in place to prevent any fire risks/hazards.

No obvious issues with having a kitchen next to a bedroom in principle, but there are some things to consider. Access Escape in the event of a fire via a kitchen is insufficient, but this can be easily overcome through having a escape window to the bedroom. There are loads of other things to consider but they will depend on your specific layout and your BCO should be able to advise you accordingly.

Broadly speaking, however, there shouldn't be any issues.

Sponsored Links
A bathroom off a bedroom is regarded as private to that bedroom. You'll need another bathroom (possibly at least a loo) accessible to other bedrooms in the house).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back