Building regs question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to know what is advantages and disadvantages of full plans submission and building notice

In terms of cost for full plans you require drawings at a cost and for building notice just a rough sketch and extra council fees

With building notice you dont get a completion certificate on completion. How would provide evidence that the work i have done by the book

Thanx for you views

Sponsored Links
With building notice you dont get a completion certificate on completion. How would provide evidence that the work i have done by the book
Says who?

Building notices should only be used for simplistic works whilst having full trust and confidence in your builder. Works involving multiple design specifications and building regulations should always be accompanied by a drawing.

The lack of a drawing means that the customer will have to come up with a spec' sheet of their own for tendering purposes.

Having a detailed b'regs drawing means that the customer and the builder/s are singing from the same song sheet as it were.

My friend is having some work done ubder builfing notice. After sudmittin his forms he received s letter and invoice of thr payment. On the last paragraph it stated under building notice a completion certificate is not issued on completion

Is that right

Well that depends on the council, I suppose if they don't provide one as a matter of course you should ask them for one. I believe they can charge if it's a building notice as there is nothing in the law which forces them to do so. Complete rubbish but that's how it works if they want to play it that way. I suppose you should involve your councillor really, complete nonsense if the council aren't prepared to help you demonstrate your work is compliant.

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the info

I will pass the info on to my friend and he will ask the question

Thanx again

I can print you off a bit of paper saying "completion" at your address.

This is why a completion certificate is a waste of time and of no value. All records are held, and are accessible at the council, and that is where anyone should check.

As for the no plans route, then just work out the cost of mistakes when the builder does what he thinks is required, and then the BCO comes along and states what is required. And then decide who pays for the alterations.

If the risk is bearable, then yes save the few hundred pounds in plan drawing fees

Yes you can print anything you like - but if it's on council headed paper with a council officer's signature on the bottom of it then you don't use it to light your fire.

And of course a completion certificate has value. It helps you flog your house. In this buyer's market a missing completion certificate can lose the sale.

You can tell them to look on the website all you like (and all you will see there is an acceptance notice, which is worthless to a buyer) but if the buyer thinks there is a problem he will make his excuses and look at the next house on his list.

This is really simple stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back