Building regs......suckage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so i want to put a 450mm x 1100mm in our new ensuite.
I understand building regs are required, but ffs....they want £250 !!!!
They told me that £250 is the payment for all works up to the value of £5000.
So, someone with a £5000 extension who would require the inspector to come out numerous times, pays the same as me who only really needs one visit from some office jobsworth.
Absolutely disgusting, the window will cost approx. £240 fitted and these council vultures want £250 for looking at it and saying "yes, thats fine mmkay?!".

No wonder people bypass building regs when it's this ridiculous.

They should tier their prices according to job size, otherwise basically i'm subsidising their visits to the guy wanting umpteen visits for his £5000 extension.

Buggered if i'm paying £500 to have a small window put in. I'll do it myself and the eejits in the BR office can suck my juice!

GGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr.............what a rant!

Anyone else feel like this?

Sponsored Links
Private inspector?
Never knew such animals existed?
I'll do a google, thanks freddy

Sponsored Links
You need to double check. If the job is less than £2k the fee should be £117.00

Depends where he lives in 'Nottingham'. Rushcliffe charge as he said. But they would only charge £150 to inspect the hole then he could have the windows fit later and Fensa notified. I doubt anybody would argue the finer points of the law but you never know. It would be done properly and when he came to flog the house the buyer's solicitor would be able to tick the boxes.

Of if you think you are competent at knocking the hole through the wall, just pay the £250 and fit the window too and have that inspected. Fitting the window is the easiest part of the job. A window that size is pretty cheap to buy. Though having said that, £240 is a good price for time and materials to put a new window in an outside wall and I wouldn't complain about the whole thing being £500.

Should have been done under same notice when ensuite done, but hindsight wonderful thing, but you know for next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back