Building regulations plans rejected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just checked on the council webiste and it says that they have rejected (all types) the building plan regulations for my extension.
I do not understand why as my surveyor said he spoke to them, forwarded them the thames water letter saying we could remove the manhole. The surveyor even said that the guy from building regulation said we could go ahead with pouring the foundations and that he would come today or tomorrow. I am really confused as he came 4 weeks ago and said everything was ok providing we contacted Thames water about the manhole.
So when it says rejected-all types does it mean we can never do the extension?

Sponsored Links
I don't know what is going on with your surveyor, but b/regs plans just dont get rejected!

Normally, the council will ask for clarification or alteration to certain things to make the plans acceptable, and your designer does this, within time limits, and the plans get passed

Having rejected plans does not stop the inspection work. Its just that you should not use the plans to build to :eek:

You can resubmit amended plans or any requested information and get the [revised] plans approved

It's just that I am worried because it says: Decision: Reject, all types
It's the all types as if whatever we submit it will be rejected.
I remember the surveyor telling my husband: my plans never get rejected and the building reg. guy telling the surveyor : you can go ahead with filling the foundations, i do not need to come you know what you are doing.
The whole thing has been dragging on for 6 weeks now.
Fist time he submitted a building notice instead of a full plans, then the story of the man hole then now this.
The builders are coming everyday , they have already done the bridging for the sewage and on Monday they are suppose to fill in the foundations and start the brick work.

You've got an idiot surveyor, judging by all your other posts.

Tell him to sort himself out, or you'll get someone else to do the work and sue him for the costs

Sponsored Links
You've got an idiot surveyor, judging by all your other posts.

Tell him to sort himself out, or you'll get someone else to do the work and sue him for the costs

Anyway what does rejected-all types mean?

I know very little in building stuff but since he started i googled a lot to learn a bit. I could never understand why he made a mistake by sending the worng application form and also starting digging before getting approval. The work stopped for 4 weeks and with the rain the foundations got larger and larger.....

I have not got a clue what "rejected all types means" - perhaps FMT has experience of this? :LOL: :p

Rejected plans are just that, the design or details are insufficient to allow the plans to be passed within the 8 week checking period. It does not stop you carrying on with the work though. But obviously don't follow any plans unless you know what was wrong with them

ok but how far can we go? And if the work is completed and they once again reject the plans.

The work and the plans are two completely different things

If your plans are rejected then obviously there is something wrong with them so you need to find out what

This does not in itself stop you carrying on with the work .... as long as you do the work to the appropriate standards

If the plans have been rejected because of the drains, then you need to sort that out before continuing. If they have been rejected because you forgot the lead on the roof, then you can carry on with most of it.

You need to grab your surveyor by the neck and give him a shake - you're paying him for this, get him to do his job

The standard LABC application form politely asks you to opt out of the statutory 8 week limit for approval of plans, presumably giving them time to give you chance to re-submit plans with amendments without risk of the time limit being reached. Perhaps your designer didn't tick the box and therefore they were forced to accept/reject within 8 weeks.

Spoke to the surveyor who seems more confident than ever!!!
he sais that it was probably rejected because he mentionned in his plans that he would move the manhole, but now Thamewater have said we don't need to move it but just remove it completely.

Spoke to the surveyor who seems more confident than ever!!!
he sais that it was probably rejected because

Probably? He's misleading you

When an application is submitted, the officer checks the plans and either approves them or asks for more information. If that is not provided, then he will reject the plans and state why. Non of the "probably because" nonsense

The added bonus of this is that you can see exactly where your surveyor messed up

What if all other issues are resolved, but the authority hasn't heard from the Water Company? This often happens, and not the surveyors or the authorities fault; then they have to reject (H4)

The surveyor could have submitted a Building Notice unaware of the sewer - often this will be the minor sewer common drain type which some authorities (like mine) do not treat as sewers and therefore accept a BN. Where I live the LA treat them as sewers, require a FP application, and consult Thames Water; and usually wait then several months.

This may not be what happened, but perhaps the surveyor is not at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back