Builing regulations - spacing of bath, toilet, shower etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I cant seem to find what I'm looking for.

In a normal household bathroom (ie not newbuild or for disabled), is there any specific building regulations regards the spacing and distance between the bath, toilet, shower and basin, or is it simply a case of making sure everything is comfortable?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
No rules

There was a thread not too long ago specifically to do with spacing around pan in a bathroom, and other distances discussed

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure there are any minimums specified as part of regs, it’s really a question of making sure it all works and looks right too.

The minimum I would allow for a loo is about 750mm and that’s pretty tight, but it really all depends on the design of the room and what sanitary-ware you’re putting in.

So if, for example, the loo is going next to the bath, you can happily use “elbow room” above the bath and offset the loo in the gap, making sure you have enough room on the wall side to fit elbows and loo-roll holders etc.

It’s a lot to do with choosing the right fittings and there’s lots of space-saving sanitary-ware out there. I think it’s Ideal Standard who have one at the moment where you fit the loo close up to a wall, but the loo seat angles off to one side ie you don’t sit on it straight which I think is quite clever but haven’t sold anyone on the idea yet!
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back