Certificate of Lawfulness or Planning Permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat in a 3 storey house, which was converted into 2 self-contained flats in 1984. Would I need the permission of the other occupant of the house to enable me to gain a Certificate of Lawfulness?

Sponsored Links
Whats the point?

These have presumably been registered at the Land registry and the occupants have been paying council tax on them, so there is established use

Whats the point?

These have presumably been registered at the Land registry and the occupants have been paying council tax on them, so there is established use
Sorry didn't elucidate, do I need the permission of the occupant of the other flat in order to gain a Certificate of Lawfulness for an extension to the rear of my ground floor flat?

You have or want an extension?

Either way it will or would have required full planning permission, as it would not be permitted development

In any case, no, you wont need anyone else's permission for a certificate of lawfulness

Sponsored Links

Either way it will or would have required full planning permission, as it would not be permitted development

In any case, no, you wont need anyone else's permission for a certificate of lawfulness
Thank you. I want an extension. I know that planning permission would not require permission from the other occupant of the house, but as the extension would be within the permitted percentage of the whole house which wouldn't require planning permission, I hoped I could obtain a Certificate of Lawfulness which is much cheaper that planning application, but would I then require permission of the other occupant as the building is made up of two flats?

Thank you. I want an extension. I know that planning permission would not require permission from the other occupant of the house, but as the extension would be within the permitted percentage of the whole house which wouldn't require planning permission, I hoped I could obtain a Certificate of Lawfulness which is much cheaper that planning application, but would I then require permission of the other occupant as the building is made up of two flats?
I should add that we share the freehold of the building.

cath120";p="2465787 said:
as the extension would be within the permitted percentage of the whole house which wouldn't require planning permission

No; as Woody said, it WILL require planning permission as there are no permitted development rights for flats. It is nothing to do with your neighbour - it is between you and the council.

tony1851";p="2465841 said:
as the extension would be within the permitted percentage of the whole house which wouldn't require planning permission

No; as Woody said, it WILL require planning permission as there are no permitted development rights for flats. It is nothing to do with your neighbour - it is between you and the council.
Thank you Tony and Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back