combi boiler regularisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i'm in the process of buying a house but need some some advice.
A new combi gas boiler was fitted 4 yrs ago by a corgi engineer,the vendors say they have lost all paper work concerning the boiler and the heating engineer has left the area and can't be traced.
They now say they are not prepared to go to any lengths to get copies of any paperwork or to sort out a regularisation form.
They have done an indemnity insurance but this doesn't help me from a safety perspective and it doesn't ensure the system works,
Has anyone got any advice or helpfull ideas.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Jeeeezus

If the damn boiler is working just buy the bloody house. What is the problem?

It is always wise to have the gas and electric installations checked as part of the presale survey in any case. But not wanting to buy a house because of lack of a bit of paper, is nonsense. I'm with the sellers on this one

I thought it was a legal requirement to have this type of work carried out properly and to have the necessary paperwork kept with the house.

Sponsored Links
I thought it was a legal requirement to have this type of work carried out properly and to have the necessary paperwork kept with the house.

You just never know when the gas gestapo might come knocking demanding "papers.....!"

Agree with Woodbin. Buy the house then get the boiler checked if you feel the need to.

They now say they are not prepared to go to any lengths to get copies of any paperwork or to sort out a regularisation form.
They have done an indemnity insurance but this doesn't help me from a safety perspective and it doesn't ensure the system works,
The way the property market is at the moment and especially at this time of the year, makes us wonder why they are not prepared to pay for a Gas Safe Engineer to carry out a boiler service to achieve a sale. The service will also include a safety check.
It is still a buyers market. Make it a condition of the sale.
Regards oldun

Just get a gas safety check done. Cost about £75.00

I thought it was a legal requirement to have this type of work carried out properly
Yes
and to have the necessary paperwork kept with the house.
No

When it was installed, the installer should have done certain checks/tests, left certain paperwork with the customer, and I think notified the work through his scheme. That's the end of it.

As a owner occupier, it's not a legal requirement to have the work done by a gas safe registered engineer - it is legal to do it yourself though very strongly advised against (it's easy to get it wrong, and the results can be devastating). There is no legal requirement to keep any paperwork, nor to have any servicing done - though it is also advised that you should have a service/safety check done periodically.

Now, once commerce is involved - such as a rental property - then things change. For a rental property, it IS a legal requirement that the gas appliances & installation is safety checked every 12 months and a copy of the gas safety certificate given to the tenant. A service isn't mandated - but it would be really penny pinching (and a false economy) to omit the service on the boiler when having the safety check done, and if something were to happen, omitting the service could leave the landlord open to an accusation of not having taken all reasonable steps to minimise risks. It's also (IIRC) a legal requirement to have a service contract on any boiler - I imagine to avoid the temptation to "have a go" at DIY to avoid call out/repair charges.

Oh yes, as suggested above, if you are serious about buying this house - ask the vendor if you can have a service & gas safety check done, and also consider an electrical inspection (EICR, Electrical Installation Condition Report).
If both of these are OK then go ahead, if they throw up any problems, then you can negotiate around them.

When I bought a house a couple of years ago the gas safety check was failed - the flue for the living room fire wasn't up to standard (and hadn't been when it was built). I would have offered to go ahead and just knock a grand off the price - but the vendor just got it sorted without me asking. They weren't too happy about me insisting the boiler worked though :rolleyes:

A building regulations application is all about fitting an efficient boiler to save the planet, and has little to do with safety.

Thanks to the 'oldun' and 'simonH2' for the usefull replies.
No thanks to 'noseall' and 'woody' for the ridiculous replies.

What about Jeds? You didn't even give him a mention, you'll make him think it was not worth bothering

Thanks to FMT for his colourful assessment
No thanks to simoneve for his ridiculously bland insult

If it was installed 4 years ago it would/should have been notified. Gas safe and local building control will have date of install and installers details.
Ask the homeowners to get the details that way. Smells more like a diy job or unregistered installer.
You will know if its been registered after you move in, corgi will send you letter addressed to baxi/potterton boiler owner or vaillant boiler owner etc trying to sell you maintenance contract.( they stole the old notification database when gas safe took over!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back