Consequences of not submiiting to building control?

Sponsored Links
sleeping accommodation 100% requires a planning application in an out building

if you are going to occasionally fall asleep in your office say once a month then providing theres nothing resembling a bed no one will worry
if its once a week then they may worry but not notice

the simple solution is your not allowed to do it but if no one notices it because you are very sensible and covert then it hasn't happened

but just be aware deliberately concealing the use stops the clock when it comes to timed usage overcoming planning

There was the chap who built a castle behind hay bales, who was deemed to have deliberately concealed his development, and couldn't claim 4 years had elapsed; but how would this apply to sleeping in a building? It's not something that would normally be obvious to the planning officer in the street in any case, so how would he decide you had deliberately concealed it? Would you have to be caught smuggling your toothbrush in there?

Cheers
Richard

I agree if he wants an annex he will need builidng regs. But he wasn't talking about an annex, he was talking about an outhouse that he would build under permitted as a store (so as not to require pp) but which he might use to sleep in occassionally - i.e. unofficially. A bit like getting your head down in the summer house after a night out. (we've all done it) If the op is talking about an annex then yes, it needs Bregs and PP.

Sponsored Links
I agree if he wants an annex he will need builidng regs. But he wasn't talking about an annex, he was talking about an outhouse that he would build under permitted as a store (so as not to require pp) but which he might use to sleep in occassionally - i.e. unofficially. A bit like getting your head down in the summer house after a night out. (we've all done it) If the op is talking about an annex then yes, it needs Bregs and PP.
The text in the legislation says No sleeping. It requires planning whether its one night or a permanent set-up. Nobody has suggested anyone will take enforcement action for occasional sleeping. But it needs PP and Regs.

It's not something that would normally be obvious to the planning officer in the street in any case, so how would he decide you had deliberately concealed it? Would you have to be caught smuggling your toothbrush in there?

Each time you sleep in the shed you make a ritual of walking to the gate in your pyjamas holding your toothbrush, and remarking loudly to anyone nearby "Oh well, I'll turn in now. It's nice and cosy in my shed".

You film the ceremony several times, making sure that a newspaper of identifiable date appears in the shot.

After 4 years you turn yourself in to the council, making a statement of the building's use for habitation, enclosing the film, and pointing out that you have made no attempt at concealment.

After 4 years

The only problem with your cunning plan, is that the 4 year rule has nothing to do with the building regulations

And the OP has already said that the work will not require planning permission

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back