Conservation areas and outbuildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The background to this is that within a few months my area will get conservation area status. I have drawings for a fair sized out building ie approx 6.5m by 3m and 4m to a double pitched roof.

I can build this under PD but I would.have preferred to wait and see whether I actually really needed this building as it will cost me £20k and change the outlook of my garden.

So my question is does Conservation area status area have much influence on outbuildings that can't be seen from the street? In other words if I didn't build before cons area status is implemented would this project be difficult to get permission for later?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Conservation area makes no difference to PD outbuildings.

Hi Jeds

Are you sure it makes absolutely no difference? Are you saying that PD rights for outbuildings remain intact even if an area is designated conservation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not so jeds, you're alright if behind the rear wall of the house but no to the side.

Ok, so as long as behind the rear wall of the original house PD rights remain intact for outbuildings?

Can't article 4 be used by the LA to adjust/vary/remove this if they wanted and therefore won't this vary from LA to LA?

Thanks again

As far as I know Article 4 directives vary from area to area and local authority to local authority and generally outbuildings do not form part of them however, nobody can tell you categorically, you will just have to wait and see!

As far as I know Article 4 directives vary from area to area and local authority to local authority and generally outbuildings do not form part of them however, nobody can tell you categorically, you will just have to wait and see!
I agree. As I understand it, my LA has removed PD rights entirely under Article 4 although I think there is some rule that I can do something up to 10cu metre (i.e. a shed).

If I was you, indus, I'd do it soonest!

My bad for not making it clear but I recall from previous posts that indus' proposal is in the back garden. So what I should have said was; the conservation area will make no difference - to him, and assuming it is the same proposal he has been talking about for some time. Obviously if PD rights have been removed then you can't do it but that's the case whether it's a conservation area or not. And freddy is right that if it is to the side then it wouldn't be allowed.

We are about to try for PD and in a Conservation area but have met with a problem. We are detached, sitting in an acre of ground, not overlooked and want to build a Garden Room.

Our problem - our cottage front door is facing the front garden and back door faces the rear. So cottage is 'side on' to the lane.

So with PD it seems if our front door faced the road we would be OK because we would be allowed an extension at the back. (We would not want to build onto the rear anyway as it faces the lane.)

It all seems so stupid that we have to apply for Planning when it meets the PD size, etc. and no-one will see our garden room. We want to position it on the side furthest away from the lane if that makes sense. Not even overlooked as there is a field next to our garden. All measurements are well within PD rights.

If your house is 'side on' to the street then it maybe possible to build a huge front extension due to a loophole in the PD rules, apparently it's even possible in a conservation area.

leew2 - thank you for replying and we assumed we could build in front of back door. Not sure about front because that means we are building past front elevation - anyway we would spoil cottage.

However, we want to build on the side away from the road and 'around the back'. It is convenient to us, walk in pantry has a door to outside and this can be used as an entrance into the garden room. Plus the garden room will not be overlooked and not visible from road. All things you would expect Conservation planners to like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back