converting a farmhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi would i need planning permission to change a farmhouse from a single dwelling into 2 seperate apartments. it would not mean putting in extra stairs or toilet/shower rooms but it would mean putting in an extra kitchen.
The house would be able to be used as the single dwelling that it is now by the means of a lockable fire door or as 2 seperate dwellings with it being locked.

the only other thing apart from adding the second kitchen would be putting in 2 stud walls to divide 2 of the rooms. the house needs re-wiring and plumbing for central heating etc so i would do this on external walls so that the stud walls maybe taken down in the future if we move into the place, then put some insulation and false wall in to hide all this as there is no insulation in the place at the moment.

was just wondering if i would need plans as theoretically it could/would still be 1 dwelling but with 2 kitchens and for the second thing could i build and insulate false walls onto the current walls using batton, insulation then plaster?

cheers

Sponsored Links
it may no be allowed to touch it if its directly connected to a farm
farmers can have new accommodation iff required to run a farm but may have strict conditions like only allowed whilst they need the labour

its not directly linked to the farm its a farmhouse nearly on the side of the road, the farm is way away behind the farm and gardens

Sponsored Links
its not directly linked to the farm its a farmhouse nearly on the side of the road, the farm is way away behind the farm and gardens
i am assuming a land search when you bought it didnt throw up any covenants or restriction on its use :?: :?:

You may get PP but there will almost certainly be a condition that you cannot sell one half of the building as a separate house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back