Coucil property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rent from the council and my back garden is seriously overgrown. I have repeatedly asked the council if they will cut it and they have refused,even after me offering to help with the cost.The question I have is if I decided to pay somebody to cut it down and sort it out would I need permission? I was thinking of maybe graveling most of it with maybe a small decked area for table/chairs. the decking would not be more than 25% of the garden size and the gravel would be removable if I ever leave so nothing would be permanent.

Sponsored Links
What does your tenancy agreements say you can and can't do?
I let properties out and also deal with property management companies that let properties.
Part of my agreement is that the tenant tends to the upkeep of the garden, I doubt very much that you would be able to make any wholesale changes to the garden.

A tenant is responsible for the garden and the stuff in it - although trees may be mentioned in the tenancy agreement and either be maintainable by the council or the tenant maintains but gets permission before doing any work on them

It varies as to who is to maintain the garden it will state as much in your contract. Normally it is for the tenant to keep it in the condition it was in when the tenancy began. They are obliged to provide you with the tools with which to maintain it though if you do not possess them.

Sponsored Links
I expect my choice of words is incorrect woodbreath it could be considered reasonable that suitable basic tools be provided though if asked for.

Frankly though why does a council tenant have the privilege of a garden if they can't even be bothered to maintain it?

I don't think I gave enough info in my original post,sorry. I am in an upstairs flat and the garden is supposed to be communal,but the council fenced it off so me the the tenant downstairs now have our own garden. i have a disability so am unable to do it myself. My issue isn't that I feel the council should do it, I just need to know if I get done what I plan to get done (cleared and most likely graveled and decked) will I get in trouble or will they not be bothered,I tried calling them but the person on the phone admittedly had no idea.

I don't think I gave enough info in my original post,sorry. I am in an upstairs flat and the garden is supposed to be communal,

Oh that makes a difference then

Communal gardens will be dealt with in your tenancy agreement or supplementary council documents related to the tenancy

But normally, communal gardens would be maintained by the landlord council, and there would be a service charge to cover this

Check your documents or ask one of the estates managers or housing officers to tell you. If they are the councils responsibility, and are not being done, then make a formal complaint via there complaints system and check that you have not been charged on the service charge. Ask for a refund where necessary

You would not normally be allowed to deck/pave/gravel a communal area without express permission from the landlord and agreement of the other tenants in the block

I expect my choice of words is incorrect woodbreath it could be considered reasonable that suitable basic tools be provided though if asked for.

Frankly though why does a council tenant have the privilege of a garden if they can't even be bothered to maintain it?

No, its a fundamental part of a typical tenancy that the external gardens to the let property become a tenants responsibility and nothing to do with the landlord

Also there is normally a clause within council tenancies that the gardens must be maintained and kept tidy. Failing that, it would be a breech of tenancy and eviction procedures could follow.

This clause used to be enforced years ago, but is rarely enforced nowadays, so gardens just run wild, estates look a right mess and nobody gives a damn

Sometimes, tenants may not be physically able to tend the garden though, in which case there may be help available from the landlord, or a cheap rate service

Whatever is written in the TA, woodbreath a reasonable landlord will provide equipment with which to maintain a garden, you're an obstinate muppet sometimes!

I dunno if your Council is anything like the Housing Association that looks after the rented houses in my street, but in our case all the elderly and disabled people (and there's quite a few) have to do is ring their housing officer and she sends gardeners out to make changes. My mothers council (now a private social housing company) was always quite willing to assist with modifications to home and garden when my grandad was alive also.

I'd try ringing again (a few times if needs be), try and get the right contact and explain your situation to them, see if they're able to make one big change that would make it easier for you. They might never agree to send gardeners for what they see as 'routine maintenance', but they might well send somebody to hack down some bushes and gravel a certain amount to make regular maintenance easier....got to be worth a shot.

Whatever is written in the TA, woodbreath a reasonable landlord will provide equipment with which to maintain a garden, you're an obstinate muppet sometimes!

You obviously don't know a thing about L&T or social or other tenancies

Landlords do not provide tools for tenants to cut the grass and prune the roses

And it's not even considered "reasonable" as you say, for a landlord to do so

You obviously don't know a thing about L&T or social or other tenancies

Landlords do not provide tools for tenants to cut the grass and prune the roses

And it's not even considered "reasonable" as you say, for a landlord to do so
some landlords do provide them woody. I am in the know! ;)

What? a council/landlord is going to provide 5, 10 20,000 lawnmowers and secateurs to their tenants?

And then train them as they will be obligated to do, and get the insurance cover for the inevitable accident claims?

Some guy with one house may leave a mower in the shed when he rents it out, or a charity with a couple of properties may do so out of goodwill or naivity , but otherwise I doubt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back