Discussing extension with the neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We live in a fairly small 1930s semi - we would like to do a single-storey extension across the whole back of the house and mentioned it to our neighbours who seemed fine with it in principal as they were going to use our new rear wall and the wall of their extension to put up a conservatory or summer house...
The trouble now it's getting nearer to us proceeding they are now talking about loss of light and we are a bit bemused as it would seem they are NOT going to fill in the gap as it were... sorry to be longwinded
My question is - I know we will need a Party Wall Agreement and I know the right to light will be an issue but has anyone any experience of compromising by offering financial compensation - eg. we would offer to pay for the conservatory up to a certain value?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
How deep an extension do you intend building? You know generally you can go 3m if attached and 4m if detached without requiring permission? Other certain criteria applies obviously.

Sponsored Links
You could normally build just off the boundary so as to not invoke the PW Act, and right to light is unlikely to be an issue.

If the work is not PD, and you need to apply for permission, then if it meets the planning policy, the neighbors have no say

I had a similar issue, neighbours were ok at first then started getting twitchy as the building start date got closer. All we did in the end was move the wall 6" on to my land, thus meaning that the foundations were totally within the boundary. Simples. No party wall agreement required. And we're still on good terms with them!

You might still need to use the Party Wall Act, even if you build solely within your boundary (depending in the depth of foundations)

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf

Section 26 gives scenarios for building within 3 and 6 metres of your neighbours where you'd need the PWA.

As others have said if its permitted development, or you get planning permission then your neighbours can't do anything to stop you building. If you serve a PWA they could be difficult and ask for Surveyors to be appointed, which will cost time and money but not stop the build. It is worth noting that there are no penalties for not serving a PWA.

Tell me about difficult neighbours!! I served mine with plenty of notice and he seemed all right with it, day one of the work beginning he called the council who of course had to come.Even if he was told we were authorized to do it he calls them every week to moan about something.
His grass being damage (we promised him we would pay for any damage to his grass), the sewer being open ( we had to as we were removing the manhole) or builders not coming to work!!!
Today the foundations will be filled in with concrete and I bet he will complain again, when the builders are there he is in his garden observing what they are doing!!! I cannot wait for them to start erecting the 3 metres wall between the 2 properties, then again he will complain it is too high!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back