Dodgy Wall Knock trhough with no Regs!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry if this is common and in hindsight particularly stupid issue on this forum but...

We recently purchased our first home and were aware via the survey that it was in need of a new roof. One of the quotes we had for the roof was from a general builder and we also mentioned to him that we wanted the load bearing wall between the lounge and dinning room knocked through. He gave us a good price for both, and foolishly we chose him.

He knocked the wall through first (12 weeks ago now) and we thought he did a good job. However when replacing the roof it was obvious that he was beyond useless. He didnt stagger the tiles, started to re use the old battons. We told him to go (after already having paid him too much) and got a proper roofer in who was appalled at the work.

What is obviously now worrying me is that he has (certainly) done a bodged job on the wall. Until the roof fiasco we honestly didnt realise that you needed a SE to do the calcs and building regs to sign it off etc.

Here are the only pics that were taken when the work was being done.

41356310151023070279993.jpg

54232810151023393814993.jpg

As you can see. No padstones were used, but what really worries me is the steel used. I could probably live with there being no SE calcs being done but if you look closely at LHS of the first picture you can see that the RSJ isnt actually an I beam but rather a T beam (if that is what its called). Therefore all the brickwork is sitting above this narrow bit of steel! Surely this is not advised? Is this really as bad job as i fear?

As i said it has been 3 months now and there is no visible sign of impending doom. No new cracks are forming and the upstairs floors are not sagging. Some of our friends/family are inclined to leave it but i want to have peace of mind.

What exactly do i need to do now to rectify the problem and how much roughly do you think it would cost? How would you advise to find a good builder too!

I wish i could turn back the clock on the whole mess!

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Really you should get a structural engineer to take a look and get Building Control in to inspect before its all covered up. Not entirely sure what you mean by a T beam and that the masonry is sitting above the narrow bit (one can only imagine) anyway a structural T, if that is what has been fitted is inappropriate and it should be a an RSJ or box lintel if appropriate.

Gonna be a few hundred quid for a structural engineer and the same again for Building Control If the beam is too small then its gonna need replacing so more wonga needed there.

Typically for that type of job, span, and supporting the upper floor and a wall, and possibly some of the roof and bedroom ceiling timbers, then it would be a 203x102 beam - in the shape of a H on its side and not a T.

I've never come across anyone using a T-beam. Its probably technically possible, but would need some proper engineering calculations and some plate welding on the ends. ie not just a case of the builder going down the merchants and buying a beam

Padstones may or may not be necessary

Thanks for your responses, however it is all covered up already these photos were taken when it was being done 12 weeks ago.

Whats the first step getting it sorted? Should i explain the situation over the phone to the building regs people and they come and open it up again and take a look?

Or do i first need to ask another builder to basically redo the thing correctly?

Sponsored Links
Typically for that type of job, span, and supporting the upper floor and a wall, and possibly some of the roof and bedroom ceiling timbers, then it would be a 203x102 beam -

Do you charge clients according to the weight of the steel beams you woukd specify?
That 8x4 is way over what is needed in that situation.

You phone Building Control explain you want to get regularisation done. They come out, they'll want to see whatever photos or other evidence you may have showing what was built, if they're insufficient or what looks to have been installed looks insufficient you'll need to open up the bearings at each end. If Mr BC is unhappy he'll ask for calcs from a structural engineer to prove it works (or, as is extremely likely he'll just say get your SE to do new calcs for a new beam). Then employ a professional to do it right or do it yourself.

Or just forget about it, stick you head in the sand and hope you don't get any problems down the line and when you come to sell you don't find yourself having to get retrospective Building Regs anyway when the surveyor picks it up.

Here endeth the lesson in life.

Came across this as researching doing a corner knock out of my house for an L shaped extension, this is well scary. I am not for laws for this and laws for that, but seeing as something as wrong as this can be done by anyone who calls himself a builder, there needs to be real jail time available to these idiots, they could quite easily kill someone.

Came across this as researching doing a corner knock out of my house for an L shaped extension, this is well scary. I am not for laws for this and laws for that, but seeing as something as wrong as this can be done by anyone who calls himself a builder, there needs to be real jail time available to these idiots, they could quite easily kill someone.

Just for information purposes on anyone else stumbling across this thread.
We got hold of a proper who redid it all. The beam used was some kind of I beam that had been cut down the centre making a kind of upside down T beam. It was also only 4 inches in depth and was packed at the top with all sorts (including door hinges) to create pressure on the floor joists.

Its has however been redone through building control and required an 8 by 4 inch I beam.

Glad we got it redone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back