Double Glazing installation and Security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any specific requirements in Building Regulations regarding installation of double glazing units? I am asking on behalf of my son who moved into a four year old house last year.

There has been a recent spate of burglaries on his estate - entry has been made via the double glazed windows facing the garden. It appears that the double glazed units have been fitted the wrong way round, so they can be easily removed. The builder will not accept responsibility so there is a court case coming up. I'm not sure what stance the NHBC will take if a claim is made under the 10 year warranty.

My immediate reaction was that the incorrect installation of the DG units must contravene Building Regulations.

There are also Insurance implications as an Insurance Co might refuse a claim on the basis that the property did not meet their security requirements.

Sponsored Links
Security is not a building regulation issue. I can't see how the builder can be liable either.

Window frames can't be fitted the wrong way around

If the units are externally beaded, then they can [should] be fitted using double sided tape which prevents easy removal.

Once criminals know of the type of glazing, then these will be targeted more

I've changed the order!

Window frames can't be fitted the wrong way around
Accepted; I was just repeating what my son had been told. I think he meant externally beaded (glazed).

If the units are externally beaded, then they can [should] be fitted using double sided tape which prevents easy removal.
I would be surprised if the relevant BS didn't specify the use of tape.

Security is not a building regulation issue. I can't see how the builder can be liable either.
But the window installer is a sub-contractor to the builder, so the builder is responsible for any mistakes made by the sub-contractor.

The builder is also responsible for ensuring that the work complies with the standards laid down by NHBC, which includes compliance with the relevant British Standards.

I don't think that there is anything in the NHBC regarding security tape to glazing.

Externally glazed windows function adequately without security tape, it is really an "optional extra" rather than a necessity.

Whilst a contractor or supplier should ideally provide tape as a security enhancement, it is not a necessity and more than that, there is no duty to do so ... which is what any claim would hinge on

Sponsored Links
Are they wooden or UPVC frames? AFAIK wooden tend to be beaded on the outside, these days I would have thought that most UPVC are beaded on the inside.

I'm not sure if the double sided tape works with wooden, but if they are UPVC and it's not already installed it may be possible to add the tape to increase security (just do it on the downstairs windows).

As for insurance, they ask things like are there approved locks on windows/doors - if there aren't then presumably they charge slightly more, but I doubt they ask about the specfic design of the windows themselves. Incidently, IMHO it's better to say NO to approved locks and Alarms when taking out insurance since they will not honour a claim if you say yes and they were not used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back