Examples of building regs drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to extend my tiny semi-detached bungalow to the side and convert the loft.

I'm still in the early stages of deciding the layout and trying to figure out costs etc. (I haven't spoken to a SE yet or got any detailed quotes).

What I want to know is if I'll be able to adequately put together all the drawings and documents required to satisfy planning and building control. I've seen a lot of planning drawings and I think I'll be ok there but I can't find any good examples of building regs drawings anywhere. I've had a look though the regulations documents and I want to know how much of the detail do I need to show?

I was thinking (hoping) it would be structural calcs and beam sizes etc., foundations and a drainage plan. Do I need to specify all materials, utilities, construction schedule? Does anyone know of a good resource for looking at other people's approved plans for some tips?

Sponsored Links
Some Local Authority's (Tandridge springs to mind) have Building Regs Application drawings online. ;)

Sponsored Links
While I sometimes see planning documents online, I don't think I have come across BR drawings online - unless anyone else knows differently?

Phil.

As mentioned I have seen them on Tandridge Local Authority’s website, ie the drawings, though they do not seem to support that feature now. I know there were others when I looked at Tandridge but maybe they're stopped too (about 3 years ago).

I know a few years back there was discussion amongst the Building Control powers-that-be as to whether BR drawings were viewable under the Freedom of information Act, I know they used to be because I have previously viewed old BR drawings though did not need to apply under the Act at the time as my local BC had considered at the time that if I did apply under the Act I would be granted access so they just made them available to view but I don’t know the outcome and if those discussions were relevant to reasons why the removal of drawings occurred.

Are you engaging the council to do your BR or going with an independent?

My independent isn't so much bothered about drawings. I sketch up on a fag packet how I'll construct e.g. a foundation and he says "ok", then I build it like that and he looks at it and says "yeah". Sometimes I don't draw anything, I just tell him and it's agreed..

Just google building regulations drawings; here is one example which came up;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=B...bm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KmJYUtaTGMT

there seem to be loads of others on that site. But as above, you don't need drawings to satisfy building regs, if you use the 'Building Notice' procedure. And many private inspectors will not even ask for full plans, but will check the work as you go along.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back