Extension completed unsatisfactorily - really?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are about to purchase a 3 bed property that comes with a conservatory. There has been a subsidence claim in regards to the conservatory in 2001 which was then fully rebuild in 2002 including piled raft foundations for ca 15k. I have a final report from the engineers that it was finished in 2002.

My concern however is that the local search has revealed the following: "piled raft to existing extension completed unsatisfactorily - dated 04.02.2004"

What does that mean and what do I need to do?

The sellers solicitor responded to this as follows, which I believe is an interpretation rather than fact: "it appears that there was no final inspection and as a consequence no completion certificate was issued. The council have closed its file. May we suggest that our client at his expense an appropriate indemnity policy to cover this point".

What do you suggest I do? Should I renegotiate the price, just accept the indemnity policy or even follow up with the council? Does it impact the sellability of the property when I decide to sell at a later point.

Thanks so much for your help.

Chris

Sponsored Links
If there are no signs of adverse movement in the structure, then it can probably be assumed that the foundation is adequate

If the work went through building control, then no final inspection of building work is merely a paperwork issue. Foundation design is approved before construction and inspected once laid, so problems are found out early

What you do regarding this matter is up to you. Indemnity policies tend to sound good, but offer little actual protection - there can be no action taken by the council now as the work was done too long ago.

You may have the same issue when you come to sell, but a clued up buyer will just buy the place if it is in good condition

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back