Extension on extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I live in a house that's been converted into 4 leasehold flats, 2 up, 2 down. All privately owned. The one above me is a one bed flat and the current owner has hatched a plan to add an extra bedroom. The idea being that it will be easier to sell.

This will mean building over my second bedroom, which is a rear extension.

However, this charmer has a history of not doing things quite by the book.
He decided that the terms and conditions of the lease didn't apply to him and installed laminate flooring which has been a nightmare over the last few years. The second bedroom is used when he decides to have the lads over as the noise is just too much for me to sleep.

He has already got the other upstairs flat on board as they will be extending too. The other "downstairs" met with them last week and as a sweetener for the work, upstairs will be shelling out on much needed repairs to the front of the house. I met with "downstairs" last night who wanted to know if I had any comments.

During this conversation, it was said that if 75% of the flats agree to the work then it goes ahead. I've beed googling today and as far as I can tell, if I say I do not want any builders or scaffolding on my property, that is it, they do not come onto my property. Is this correct? Does anyone know anything about the 75% thing?

Before any of this happens though, the foundations will have to be inspected, which again will require access to my property. How big and deep will a hole have to be dug for this inspection?

I don't really want the work done as I think it will be too imposing on my back garden, the prior history also has me a bit concerned especially as the idea is for him to "build and move".

Any comments anyone?

TIA

BC

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back