extension with a conservatory on top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my desparation for more space I was wondering if it would be possible to extend backwards. I'd never thought about it beforre because we are living in a maisonette on the first and second floors of a Victorian terrace. However, we own the freehold and the whole garden, and currently have a shed against the rear wall of the basement flat. Wondered about replacing the shed with a brick extension, stairs down from the kitchen above to use it as a utility room. Then I wondered if I could also build a conservatory on top of such an extension, to extend the kitchen by a couple of meters.

I suspect this would not be allowed. Anyone know?

j

Sponsored Links
If it meets local planing policy and conforms to any b/regs, then it can be built.

I doubt if the conservatory could be of the style of a contemporary plastic framed one though. More likely it will need to be mainly brick with a extra glass and a tiled roof

This would just be a normal rear extension

Brick and tiles would be better...warmer in winter. I only thought if conservatories because i imagined it would be easier for planning consent. Food for thought, thanks.

I don't think any planners would want to see a conservatory at first floor level. Also, any extensive amount of glass at first floor level could create potential overlooking issues

So you are probably looking at a traditional two storey extension with rooflights

Sponsored Links
Probably a no go actually... These houses have a rear kitchen with a little yard at the side. Each kitchen has this yard on one side and the next guipure kitchen on the other. So if we were to build back, it would create a wall blocking next doors view. I'd thought a conservatory might get round that proble.

Building Regs will apply to the conservatory and it may be difficult and expensive to achieve the energy requirements with a 'simple' conservatory.

I often wonder why people don't consider extensions over conservatories? Extensions can be used all year, conservatories often can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back