Fence exceeding 1m adjacent to highway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a house, and have received a letter from the council stating the fence should be removed.

I would like to know a few things:
1)Are they right in the letter?

2)What can I do as I cant find a photo older than 4 years? (Google maps street view has a photo that is 3 years 7 months old, and the previous owners have nothing)

3)What would they do if I didn't rectify the fence?

Im reluctant to shorten the fence as its there for the safety of my children who play in the garden.

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended)

Nature Of investigation: Erection of fencing exceeding 1.00m in height
adjacent to the highway

The Council has received information in respect of the above.

Following an investigation, it has been established that there is a breach of the planning regulations at the above location, this is because a fence exceeding 1.00 metre in height adjacent to the highway has been erected at the above property. I would inform you that this requires the benefit of planning permission. This is usually referred to as a 'breach of planning control'.

I have checked the Council planning records for the location and it does not appear that planning permission has been granted for the above. As such, the fence is considered to be unauthorised is considered to be unauthorised.(yes thats a typing error on the councils letter)

In different circumstances I would have invited you to submit a planning
application for the retention of the fence. However, it is only fair to advise you at this stage, that it is my informal opinion that the Council are unlikely to grant permission for (another mistake missing the word an) unauthorised fence. This is because the fence is contrary to
planning policy A4 of the East Lindsey Local Plan Alteration 1999. This is because the fence increases traffic danger as it is hard to see oncoming vehicles at the junction as the fence is to high. (In my opinion it doesnt)

I am therefore writing to request that you reduce the height of the fence so that it does not exceed 1.00 metre in height, within 28 days of the date of this
letter, so that the breach of planning control is resolved.

My informal opinion concerning the likelihood of obtaining planning permission is provided for your information and guidance only, and is without prejudice. If you would like to apply for planning permission, despite the advice given in this letter, you still have the right to do so. The final decision on an application. If one were to be submitted, will be made by the Planning Department. If you do decide to apply for planning permission, please submit the application within 28 days of the date of this letter.

I would advise you that the above location will be visited after the time specified in this letter has expired, to check whether the breach of planning control is still continuing or whether it has been resolved, as requested. If the breach of planning control has been resolved, the department will take no further action and this matter will be closed.

If the visit to the above location reveals that the breach of planning control is still continuing, the Council will need to decide whether or not to take formal enforcement action against the unauthorised fence.

I understand that this fence is not a new fence. Development is immune from enforcement action if it has been sited for 4 years or more. I cannot find aerial photos showing that the fence has been inistu (another spelling mistake) for 4 years, therefore if it has, the onus is upon yourself to provide evidence to support this.

If you have any queries regarding the contents of this letter, or require any further information regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact details are provided at the top of this letter

Sponsored Links
I'd be asking why this was not picked up during the conveyance by your agent.

Invite the council to prove it has been there less than four or ten years, whichever applies.

The council will have many more than four years of aerial photos. If any fence is there - ie a shadow or any sign, then that is enough to imply that it was the same fence. Ask for copies of all their aerial photos - no, ask to look on screen as they may not print too well from the early lower resolution photos

And ask them who grassed

Just to add to Woody's comments;

The council is wrong to say that the onus is on you to prove to them that the fence has been there more than 4 years - you don't have to prove anything.

If the council is not happy with the situation, it is up to them to decide whether or not to take enforcement action. It is then that you can present any evidence you have to the independant inspector.
The council has to be satisfied that it is expedient to take action; are you sure the fence does not present a traffic hazard?

Sponsored Links
Try google earth rather than maps and the historical imagary option within it, if you want to PM your address I'll have a look for you if you don't know how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back