Fire regs in this situation? Egress windows not possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've attached a floor plan layout of the first floor of the build i'm planning. There IS going to be a top floor to this house. The room heights are:
ground floor: 3 metres high ceilings
first floor: 2.4 metres high ceiling
top floor: roof slope apples, min ceiling height 0.2 metres max height 3 metres

Here is the first floor:
View media item 59638
So I guess the first floor on this house is going to be less than 4.5m and the top floor is more than 4.5 but less than 7.5 above ground level. My query is about 3 of the first floor rooms, which touch the wall that divides this dwelling from the other dwelling that makes it a semi. Because of the nature of the project, it is unlikely that any of these rooms will have an egress window. I think I can ensure that the stairway and hall is protected by making every door a fire door and the ground floor celings fire resistant, but is this the case?

The void on the left is a light well that spans all 3 floors, so the top floor and the hall on the first floor are mezzanine onto the ground floor :

View media item 59639
The kitchen is open plan to the hall, and 2 exits are provided to the dining room. The light well/void has patio doors out to the garden so the building has 2 exits. The lounge has a set of folding doors to the outside too. study fitted with an egress window

My chief concern is for the fire regs of the rooms without windows; two of them are bedrooms. is it enough to protect the stair and hall, and maybe put a door between the two bedrooms?
Secondary, in terms of open plan kitchen areas, and the fact that next to the kitchen is a void/lightwell that goes right to the roof, should I be looking to glaze the void over to prevent the spread of smoke to upper floors?

Sponsored Links
You will certainly have to add a fire door to the kitchen. This cannot be open to the hall, otherwise a fire would go up the stairs and trap everyone in the 1st & 2nd floor.

The light well will have to be fire rated to prevent fire from entering the upper floors if the kitchen was on fire

Another point is that a bedroom needs a window for ventilation. Needs to have an openable area of 1/20th of the room’s floor area. The bathroom only needs a fan.

Hmm. I'm thinking that an open plan kitchen in itself isnt' the problem - after all, people on grand designs etc get away with open plan kitchens that are essentially directly connected to all the other parts of the house. I can possibly box the light well off with a glass floor, could actually work better, but putting the kitchen in its own room with a fire door isn't something I'd envisaged

So in my images above, if I put a fire door in the corridor right next to the lounge door, glass floor in the light well and make every other door in the building a 30 minute fire door, do I have a protected stair well into the hall, into the outside world? Is that going to be sufficient to have a 3 storey house, or will I need to start looking at sprinkler and fire detection systems?

Sponsored Links
(deleted duplicate post caused by browser refresh)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back