fire regs, partition through my house arrrggghhhh, pls help

You must have safe means of escape from your second floor. Your options are limited. The preferred route is via a protected stairway to a ground floor exit. That's what has been proposed - the partition across the hallway protects the whole stairway. As an alternative it is sometimes acceptable to escape from second to first floor and out of first floor windows. That can be done if the first floor windows comply with escape window criteria and the route from second to first floor is protected. Unfortunately your staircase is not protected and I can't see an easy way to make it so without considerable knocking around of the first floor landing and losing a bit of bedroom 2. A sprinkler system can be an option in the right circumstances but they are only really viable to install when you are stripping a building back to the bones. So I think your only viable option is the ground floor partition.

Sponsored Links
It's a council house so it's up to the council however they want to modify their house.

If you don't like it, buy your own house. Then you'd be able to use (and pay for) whatever methods and techniques you like to satisfy the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back