fireplace what to do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gutted out my fireplace and is back to its original sides. i'm now stuck and need some advice?

start it off, I have under floor heating which I never realised i had before. its a metal vent that is on the loeft hand side of the fire place leading to under the down stairs floor. I don't know the regulation and unsure what to do please help?

the second thing is I want to plaster the wall in the recess and put a soild stove in there max ouput 6kw, but I was adviced that I should have fireboards instead. I've been given loads of non glazed tiles which I would like to use. so I don't know if i still need the boards or not? can some one advice the best way to go

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's underfloor heating (if as you say you didn't know you had it) or is it just a fresh air vent for the fire?
Can't advise you about the fire as not enough knowledge in that subject.

I was told my next door neighbour it was under floor heating as his house was bit the same and he had to rip the floors up to find that out.

Sponsored Links
We always avoid tiles. The heat always tends to blow the adhesive and the grout gets grubby and falls out over the years. Use compressed vermiculite or sand and cement render.

We always use compressed vermiculite. It would achieve the look below:

new-york-stone.jpg

I doubt if it's underfloor heating. If there's a grill it could be blown air heating but still unlikely. Do you have radiators on the walls in all of the rooms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back