Flitch beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please tell me the load bearing capabilities of a beam consisting of 2no 8x2 and half inch steel plate 8' foot opening thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming C16 timber, and the load is uniformly distributed along the beam, you would be looking at 14- 15000 lbs, at which load the timber would be stressed to near its maximum.
(You might need to consider the allowable deflection as well).

Thanks Tony the beam will be catching 5or6 rafters on small timber frame extension with slated roof, and also to hang bi fold doors. deflection did cross my mind but I thought if I bird mouth the rafters that should stop that.

Sponsored Links
Well guess what! The mrs has changed her mind about the Bi-fold doors, she now says she wants bigger doors that means going up from 2.4m to 3.0m I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me if my Flitch beam consisting of 2x 200x50+12mm steel plate is still up to the job. The extension is 4.8 x 3.0 metres, the roof is to be slated with a 20 degree's pitch. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back