Floor joist notching

• Thread starter SaladFingers
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
So what do you think is suddenly going to happen now that has not already happened in the last couple of decades then?

Sponsored Links
If the clear span sleeper wall to sleeper wall is 2.8m, I suspect your 4" joists are already over-spanned. I usually work off the old (pre-TRADA) span tables, which are more generous than allowed now, and even these show only 1.87m for 4x2 @450 centres.
Also, your notching is not that near the end, and you will therefore be effectively weakening the joists further. If you have to notch on alternate joists, do as the others have suggested and strengthen with 3x2 glued and screwed on the sides. These pieces do not have to go the full span of the 4x2 - 4 or 5 ft long pieces would be OK so long as they are firmly fixed.

Ahh. I just had a proper look under t' floor. The span is actually 1.45m. What do you think, not as bad as we previously thought?

Right. Well I've braced them all with treated 3x2's. Each end of the timbers are resting on the sleeper walls, just as the joists are. Then using M8x100 coach screws along the length.

I can actually feel the difference from walking across the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back