Garage conversion/annex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted a little advice before I embark on a project for my parents.

Basically I have a detached house with a sizable stone outbuilding attached which currently functions as a garage/wood store/workshop.

The dimensions are approx 20 ft x 60ft, it's mainly single storey with a small loft room over 1/3. The roof was redone in2006, it has new beams, it's structure is sound and oil/ electric/ water/ waste is alreays present.

Speaking to the planning office (it's not listed), however it's in a national park, they don't seem to have any concerns over me converting it for a family annex. As long as I'm not changing the footprint and it remains for family use.

Im wondering about the sort of cost I can expect considering I need Dpm installed, rewiring, 2 lintels in supporting walls, stairs, ... I can do most of the little jobs myself(kitchen, doors, dry board, decorating) and was looking at around £50-60k budget.

Reading on the planning portal it suggests the local planners are pretty cool with this sort of thing.

Anyone got experience?

Does this sound feasible?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok, sorry, I wasn't intending to post it twice, however, the website came up with an error so I clicked back and resubmitted.

You will obviously need Building Regs, I'd expect the figures you're quoting would be in the right sort of ballpark if doing some of the work yourself with a rate of around £500/m². Probably advisable to spend a few quid on a decent set of drawings as that's really the only way you can get like for like quotes from a couple of builders.

Thanks for the rough idea.

I figured building regs definitely, however, most people tell me I won't need planning permission.

I fully expect it to be council tax rated, and have clauses allowing only family member to live there and never sold separate to the main house.

I wonder if my council tax will reduce if I'm splitting the buildings(not a chance), infact I bet they re-rate the main house at a higher rate?!

Anyone had experience doing this?

Sponsored Links
If you separate the two buildings then make sure the Planners are happy first as they consider it s stand alone property which might need PP (not always). Your local valuation office may decide a separate building will be rated seperately and you pay two CT bills and hence pay more!

Thanks for that.

I wondered if anyone had experience

retrofitting a DMP. I'm not keen on injecting, would rather opt for a membrane. The walls are mainly sandstone.

I think this I should contine this thread in the appropriate section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back