garage into a kitchen floor problems!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys need some help with my project i have a garage that is part of the house and decided to convert into the kitchen ready to start but having a problem with the floor when you open the door from the hall into the garage you only have a max 65mm drop,i has told to meet building regs this no good as i need to insulate the floor any ways over it as to get the level i need i will need to break up the 200mm thick concrete and drop the floor level to give me what i need? any info would be a big help

Sponsored Links
Have you actually spoken with your actual inspector who'll be dealing with your conversion? Often they're a bit flexible and may just ask for a bit extra in the roof to compensate. The floor is the least important in terms of heat loss.

Hi thanks for your reply, no not yet just payed all the fees now waiting for them to visit and see what they say my builder said i need a min of 65mm insulation in the floor but won't have the room for it?

Well as mentioned see what they say. If your builder was experienced in such jobs I am surprised he has not said he'll discuss it with BC already! Its not such an unusual situation.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks hopefully can over come the problem otherwise it's alot of work,time and money to make it write. Thanks again

As FMT said, you can usually compensate elsewhere. BC may tell you what needs to be done or they could ask for a trade off calculation, which a SAP assessor could do.

If the calculation is needed, I have a contact who can do this for you.

Thanks for the info just waiting now for the guy to come and check before I start and hope there is a way around it as to remove the 200mm slab is alot of time and work, is it a must to put it in the floor??

Yes, you will need something. On a job I was involved with, we only had 20mm on the floor and so the wall and ceiling had to be upgraded to compensate.

That would work fine with me I could put down 25mm down on the floor and because I'm droping the ceiling 100mm could put some in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back