Getting BC to decide between 2 engineers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you may recall I had my dining room enlarged by some cowboys who never involved either a Structural Engineer or BC.

I have since had 2 S Engineers to inspect, with a view to having it regularised.

One (not chartered) calculated the loadings and then prepared calculations. He says the beam is too small and insists it needs to be replaced.

The second (chartered, double the price and half the interest) used the first one's loadings, did his own calcs and says the beam is fine. But he seemed much more casual and disinterested - (I had to drag him round the house to look at the roof and attic loadings etc)

I have submitted the 2nd one's calcs to LABC in the hope that they will merely approve the beam and not require replacement. However I do have concerns as the first engineer was quite insistent his calcs were correct.

If i explain my doubts to BC, will they just err on the side of caution and make me replace the beam? Or will they be objective and if the second engineer is correct that the beam is fine, agree to him?

(NB The issue is compounded by the fact that BC have requested details of the loadings, which I only have from the 1st engineer wherein he recommends replacing the beam! I could of course copy and paste them selectively though)

Thanks for advising.

Sponsored Links
What size beam is it and what span?

It's a 152 x 152 (x 23 or 30 acc to 1st and 2nd engineer respectively).

Span is 3.5m

1st engineer says it is laterally unrestrained, second has written it is restrained.

Loading data, which both have used (but prepared by 1st one) is 11.81 dead kN/m and 7.63 imposed.

Sponsored Links
The 30kg size passes easily. The 23kg passes as long as it is restrained. The degree of restraint is always an issue. Timber floors are not normally classed as fully restraining and most texts advise treating them as unrestrained. There are those however that do say tiumber floors are perfectly adequate restraint in domestic situations.

To be 100% sure you could check to see if the beam is a 30kg? The flanges on a 23kg beam are 6.8mm and on a 30kg beam they are 9.4mm, so it should be fairly obvious which it is. If it's 30kg you are absolutely fine.

The 30kg size passes easily. The 23kg passes as long as it is restrained. The degree of restraint is always an issue. Timber floors are not normally classed as fully restraining and most texts advise treating them as unrestrained. There are those however that do say tiumber floors are perfectly adequate restraint in domestic situations.

To be 100% sure you could check to see if the beam is a 30kg? The flanges on a 23kg beam are 6.8mm and on a 30kg beam they are 9.4mm, so it should be fairly obvious which it is. If it's 30kg you are absolutely fine.

The flange (on the exposed side at least -can't see the other one) is 6.8mm. Does that def mean it is a 23kg?

I have asked the SE to clarify why he submitted calcs to the BC for a 30kg and if he is wrong I would demand a refund or at the least revised calcs for free.

More to the point how much faith can I place in a SE who gets this wrong? Either incompetence or something worse, I dont know which

If it's 6.8mm it's definitely a 23kg beam. What is the makeup of the loadings?

Hope this is clear - if not I will repost with appropriate spacing

LOADING DATA

UDL Dead kN/m Imposed kN/m

FROM LOFT 0.5 x 8.0m x 0.5 (0.25) kN/m2 2.00 1.00
FIRST FLOOR 0.5 x 8.0m x 0.5 (1.50) kN/m2 2.00 6.00
SPINE WALL 2.85m x 2.6 kN/m2 7.41
TANK IN ATTIC 2.5 kN / 4.0m 0.63
BEAM SELF WEIGHT say 0.4 kN/m 0.40

Total 11.81 7.63
(16.53) (12.21)

Lateral restraint of a beam

From an appeal determination [45/1/209] in respect of removing a wall and installing a steel beam to take the first floor load

" .... original proposals were the subject of a full plans application and incorporated the use of a 203 x 102 UB beam. This application was rejected by the Borough Council on the grounds that because inadequate lateral restraint was being provided to the top flange of the beam, this size of beam would fail in bending

In the Borough Council's view, this restraint could be provided by locating and fixing the beam tightly underneath the floor joists"

John, would you mind providing me a link which I can refer the SE to, to prove it is a 23 not a 30.

I trust you - not him - but it would help my case if I had supporting documentation

many thanks

Also, more importantly, do I :

let BC make their decision based on the erroneous belief that there is a 30 beam there

or

get SE to resubmit calcs for a 23 // tell BC that SE was mistaken

??

The whole thing is rapidly turning into a disaster unfortunately.
One wonders what the point of being chartered is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back