Habiatable room to store room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started a garage conversion, I had to get planning permission as its on a new estate and had no permitted development rights. Builder knocked doorway through and installed a window.

My original plan was to split it and have the front half with the garage door as a store and the back with the door into the house as a spare room. I'm doing the internals, I've got to admit I made a cock up and only informed building control after I started. By this point I had put up the partition with 50mm of insulation and put 25mm of celotex behind plasterboard on the dividing wall into the next garage (single skin of thermalite blocks).

Unfortunately the building inspector has told me I need to add at least another inch of insulation onto both walls, and the real killer, 75mm of floor insulation. This would be a real issue as the garage floor is actually slightly higher than the house, so would create a big step up. I would also need to change the door heights.

So leaving behind the fact that its my own fault for failing to inform building control early enough, can I change the use of the room to a store room, ie non-habitable, and therefore avoid having to rip everything down to fill it with insulation?

Hope that makes sense?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back