Housing Developer Lying to Buyers About Me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I've recently been having an argument with a housing developer who has been building houses behind my property. The developer went against their own approved planning drawings by leaving the rear gardens of the new houses 1 - 2m higher than they were supposed to be to prevent them having to cart away excess excavated material from elsewhere on the site. Bearing in mind that the levels were supposed to be returned to existing and our property was already 1.5m below the original levels to begin with, you can see my issue!)

I had complained to the council several times and a compromise had been reached with the developers to round off the spoil to a slightly shallower gradient to reduce the risk of land slip.

It now transpires (after speaking with some of the new owners of the houses), that the developer had been telling a few porkie-pies! They told the purchasers that they shouldn't talk to me, that I had taken court action against them which they had won (rubbish) regarding the ground levels so I 'had it in for them', that I had dogs and was a "nasty piece of work".

Now I didn't raise court action against them, the compromise was reached between the Council Planning Enforcement team and the developer, I am by no means a nasty piece of work, you'd be hard-pushed to find a more affable and laid back guy anywhere, and my (solitary) dog is the softest lump you've ever met in your life.

I was wondering if there was any kind of action I could take against them for spreading lies like this - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
MB78

Sponsored Links
Well I guess it's slander, but can you prove it in a court of law? You would have to get the buyers to be witnesses and side with you etc, could be a very costly waste of time.

Better off just leaving it, leave the buyers to find you aren't a nasty piece of work etc. The compromise / planning etc should be public record available on the internet.

Err, get on with your life and don't worry about it? What do you hope to achieve by taking some action? Sounds like the issue is over with anyway and really life's too short. You aren't the first to be bad mouthed and you won't be the last. If you have spoken with the new owners then they will have seen what a lovely affable chap you are.

Or you could get all worked up about it and talk to a solicitor to go legal on their backsides but really what are you going to achieve? At most a bunch of flowers and a letter of apology from the MD which will just be going through the motions anyway?

Obviously leaving the Rottweiler at home in future and taking that Union Jack down will help!

In addition to the above, I'm not sure why a developer would say such things anyway, it's not going to help them sell the property is it, telling people they would be moving in next to a "nasty piece of work". Would you buy if the developer told you that?

Sponsored Links
LOL, thanks for the replies - I'm really not that bothered about what they say - scumbags have ruined the area already, it's not going anywhere. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice - and you did, so thanks!

I'd make friends with the new owners and invite them to a barbeque. Then they'll know the developers were a bunch of bar stewards and they'll know you're a top bloke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back